Vegan Cuban Wild Rice & Black Bean Bowl with Roasted Peppers Recipe
This hearty vegan dish provides a healthy balance of protein, fibre-rich complex carbohydrates and healthy fats. Beans are an excellent vegetarian source of iron and zinc, which are needed for healthy energy levels and strong immune function. Wild rice is a good source of antioxidants that can help reduce the risk of chronic disease.
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice, rinsed well
- 3 heaped tbsp wild rice, rinsed well
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 10 small capsicums (yellow, orange, green, red)
- 1 small red onion, cut into wedges
- 2 x 425g tins black beans, rinsed well (or use soaked & cooked dried beans)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1 heaped tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 tbsp tomato sauce
- Sea salt & pepper
- Juice small lime + extra lime wedges, to serve
- Handful fresh coriander, chopped
- Whole large avocado, sliced
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Place brown and wild rice in a medium saucepan with vegetable stock and bring to the boil, then simmer for 45 mins. Once cooked let rice rest with the lid on for 8-10 mins.
- Halve the capsicums and place on a baking tray with onion, drizzle with olive oil and season with sea salt. Place in the oven for 20 mins or until the vegetables are cooked through and starting to brown.
- Place beans, garlic and chopped jalapeno in a large frying pan and add spices, oregano and tomato sauce. Cook for 5 mins until heated through. Toss through fresh lime and herbs.
- Serve beans on a large serving dish with rice and baked vegetables, topped with avocado and fresh herbs.
- Tip: If you are using dried beans, make sure you soak them overnight and then cook them in fresh water.
Chocolate Almond Butter Cookies Recipe
These moreish almond butter cookies topped with melted dark chocolate are a healthy twist on a much-loved Danish treat.
3 antioxidant-packed snacks for a morning boost
Add some spark to your morning routine with these delicious brekky and snack staples, featuring Organic Merchant’s Spark Dust for...
3 guilt-free snacks to elevate your summer spread
Elevate your summer spread with these 3 gluten- and guilt-free snacks made with Mayver's Tahini to satisfy sweet-tooths and savoury-lovers...
Roast Pumpkin & Walnut Dip Recipe
Packed with flavour and easy to keep, this delicious roast pumpkin and walnut dip is a vegan's delight — the...