Emma Dean shares her recipe for Asian Style Beef Cheeks
Want a dinner winner? Try Masterchef winner Emma Dean’s Asian Style Cape Grim Tasmanian Natural Beef Cheeks, seasoned with Murray River Salt Flakes. Served on delicious Basmati Tilda Rice flavoured with Coconut, Chilli & Lemongrass. Dinner done!
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Spring onions, sliced
- Thumb-sized piece fresh ginger
- 1 red chilli, deseeded & thinly sliced (leave seeds in for extra heat)
- 1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 2 star anise
- 2 tsp Murray River Pink Salt Flakes
- 1½ kilo Cape Grim Beef Cheeks (4 large ones)
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 3 tsp Chinese cooking wine
- 2 tsp dark soy
- 1L beef stock
- 2 packs Tilda Coconut, Chilli & Lemongrass Basmati Rice
- To Serve:
- Sesame seeds
- Coriander (optional)
- Spring onions, cut diagonally
- 2 steamed buk choy, quartered lengthways
- Heat oven to 160°C. In a cast-iron casserole (with a lid), heat the oil and sauté the garlic, spring onions, ginger and chilli for a few mins.
- Add spices and sauté until fragrant, about 1 min.
- Add the Murray River Salt Flakes and the Cape Grim Beef Cheeks.
- Add the brown sugar, Chinese cooking wine, dark soy and beef stock and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and place in oven and cook for about 4 hrs. Check occasionally, and if the liquid is evaporating too fast, add water as needed.
- At serving time, remove the beef cheeks from the oven and place on the table.
- Cook Tilda Rice in the microwave and place on the table.
- Serve straight from the casserole dish, over the rice and garnish with steamed buk choy, sesame seeds and additional sliced spring onion.
- Tip: You could also use a slow cooker, or pressure cooker for the beef.
Indian-Spiced Mince with Peas Recipe
Dinner doesn’t get any more budget friendly, easier or tastier than this Indian Spiced Mince with Peas. It’s one of...
Roast Cauliflower Chicken Bake Recipe
This is such an easy dish to feed the whole family. Top this Roast Cauliflower Chicken Bake with the Tahini...
Beef Massaman Recipe
This Beef Massaman is a nutritionally balanced meal offering quality protein, good fats and plant-based carbohydrates to support and nourish...