Gingerbread Cake with Cream Cheese Icing
A strong hit of ginger, a delicious spongy centre and creamy icing make this cake a real treat. This cake uses a mixture of natural sweeteners in place of refined sugar, along with other nourishing ingredients that work together to balance the cake out. Feel free to tone down the ginger if you are not a hardcore fan.
Makes: 1 cake
- 1 cup rolled oats or oatmeal
- 1¼ cups spelt flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ¾ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup molasses
- 2 tbsp brown-rice syrup
- ⅔ cup coconut milk
- 3 tsp apple-cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ packet cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2–3 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp milk of choice
- Seeds from ½ pomegranate (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line 20cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Place rolled oats in blender or food processor and blitz to a fine crumb.
- Transfer to mixing bowl and add flour, bicarb, ginger, cloves and cinnamon, stirring with fork to combine.
- Lightly whisk eggs in separate bowl.
- Add oil, maple syrup, molasses, brown-rice syrup, coconut milk, apple-cider vinegar and vanilla, and stir to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir gently until just combined.
- Pour into prepared cake tin and bake for 40–45 mins, or until skewer inserted into centre comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in tin.
- Meanwhile, prepare icing by whisking all ingredients together, either by hand or electric beater.
- Once cake is cool, cover with icing, and decorate with pomegranate seeds if using.
Eat Well with Emma: Pana Organic Pancakes
We celebrate all things pancakes and chocolate with the stunning organic range from Pana. Enjoy this delicious recipe with...
Coconut Chocolate Bars
I have cut these bars into shapes using cookie cutters and used them as cake toppers and decoration. Either way,...
Eton Mess with Summer Berries
This is a healthy version of the Eton mess which only takes a few minutes to whip up for a...