Pork & Quinoa Larb
I love larb. Yes, it packs a punch, but the lime, coriander and mint really balance the spiciness so beautifully. I always make it with a mix of meat and quinoa, just to extend the nutrition and add in some plant-based protein.
- 2 large carrots, julienned or grated
- 50g snow pea sprouts
- 60mL rice-wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey or rice-malt syrup
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 170g quinoa
- 500g pork mince
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 5cm fresh ginger, grated
- 1 bunch spring onions, white part sliced, green tops reserved for garnish
- ½ cup dry-roasted peanuts
- 2–3 hot chillies, finely diced
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar or rapadura sugar
- 60mL chicken broth, stock or water
- 1 lime, juiced & zested
- 1 bunch coriander, finely chopped, reserving leafy tops for garnish, ½ bunch fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
- To make salad, toss carrot and sprouts in bowl.
- Mix rice wine vinegar, sweetener and salt in small bowl and mix to combine. Toss through carrot and sprouts to coat.
- Meanwhile, rinse quinoa well in fine sieve for at least 1 min to remove bitter saponins.
- Place in saucepan with 2 cups water. Bring to boil over medium–high heat, then lower heat to gentle simmer. Cook uncovered until quinoa has absorbed all the water, 10–12 mins.
- Remove pan from heat, and leave covered for 5 mins, to allow quinoa time to open. After 5 mins, remove lid and fluff quinoa with fork.
- While quinoa is simmering, place pork mince, garlic, ginger, spring onions, peanuts, chilli, 2 tbsp fish sauce, sugar and broth into wok over medium–high heat and stir-fry for about 10 mins or until the pork is just cooked.
- Once quinoa is cooked, add to wok with remaining 1 tbsp fish sauce, lime juice and zest, mint leaves and finely chopped coriander. Stir for 1–2 mins, then remove from heat.
- Serve larb with salad and garnish with green part of spring onion, coriander leaves and black sesame seeds.
- Tip: Leftovers are fabulous the next day in ricepaper rolls.
Fast, Healthy & Delicious Fish Burger
If ever there was a super-quick, super-satisfying and super-nourishing easy meal to curb the cravings of a burger on the...
Healthy Garlic & Chilli Prawn Linguine
This Garlic & Chilli Prawn Linguine recipe is effortlessly simple and is perfect for a midweek meal. Enjoy with the...
Vegan Coconut & Chickpea Curry
This vegan Coconut & Chickpea Curry recipe combines creamy coconut milk with a range of spices to create the most...