Spiced Sweet Potato and Pumpkin Pie Recipe
This not-too-sweet pie has a slight caramel quality to it and is delicious served at room temperature or straight from the fridge. With a delicious walnut crust inspired by Hetty McKinnon, it is a nourishing, nutrient-packed riff on the traditional American sweet potato pie. If you can find some nutmeg to grate yourself, use it — it makes all the difference.
- 200g walnuts
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 tbsp rapadura sugar
- 100g chilled butter, cut into small cubes
- 300g sweet potato, peeled & chopped into 1cm pieces
- 200g pumpkin, peeled & chopped into 1cm pieces
- 4 tbsp rapadura sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 30g butter
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Blitz walnuts in blender or food processor to make crumbs. Transfer to bowl and add flour and sugar, stirring to combine. Add butter, rubbing and pinching it together roughly with nut mixture until you have dough that will stick together.
- Press into greased tin or oven-safe dish and bake for 15 mins until slightly golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, either steam or boil in a little water sweet potato and pumpkin. Drain well, return to saucepan and blend using stick blender until very smooth.
- Add sugar, cinnamon, coriander, nutmeg, salt and butter and stir well to combine.
- In separate bowl, whisk together milk, eggs and vanilla. Pour this mix into pumpkin mixture and combine well.
- Pour into walnut shell and return pie to the oven, baking for around 35–40 mins or until cooked through but with slight wobble in centre.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool, enjoying warm, at room temperature or cold.
Brussels Sprouts Fritters Recipe
These fritters would be perfect alongside a nice Sunday roast. They taste like a combination of Brussels sprouts and Yorkshire...
Sponsor Recipes: Bake Mixes
Discover some of the delicious recipes you can make with Bake Mixes.
Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe
If you’re not normally a lover of Brussels sprouts, this dish is sure to turn you into a fan! The...
Sponsor Recipes: Golden Door
Discover some of the delicious recipes you can make with McKenzie’s.