Sponsor Recipes: Modi™ Apples share three healthy recipes
See the recipes below for some of the delicious creations you can make with Modi™ Apples.
Grilled Salmon with Apple Salad
- 2 salmon fillets
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt & pepper
- 2 Modi™ apples, thinly sliced
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley, leaves finely chopped
- Juice 1 lemon
- Coat salmon fillets with 2 tbsp olive oil and season with sea salt and pepper.
- Heat frypan over medium heat and add both salmon fillets skin side down.
- Cook for 5 mins until skin is crisp.
- Turn salmon fillets and cook for further 3 mins on other side.
- Add apple slices to bowl along with red onion, flat-leaf parsley, lemon juice and 2 tbsp olive oil. Season with sea salt and pepper. Mix together until well combined.
- Serve salad on plate and top with piece of grilled salmon.
Spelt Apple Pies
- 3 Modi™ apples, diced
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped dried figs
- ½ cup raisins
- 2 tbsp honey
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup wholemeal spelt flour
- 125g butter
- 2 tbsp coconut palm sugar
- 1 egg
- Cold water
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Add diced Modi apples, cinnamon, dried figs, raisins, honey and water to saucepan.
- Cook over low heat with lid on for 15 mins until apples have softened. Remove from heat and divide mixture between 4 ramekin dishes, then set aside to cool.
- Add spelt flour, butter and coconut palm sugar to food processor and blend to fine crumb.
- Add egg and blend until mixture comes together and forms dough. If mixture is slightly dry, you may need to add 1 tbsp cold water and blend again until dough comes together.
- Wrap pastry dough in plastic wrap and store in fridge for 30 mins.
- Remove dough from fridge and roll out onto floured surface.
- Cut 4 round shapes out of pastry, making sure they are slightly larger than ramekin dishes.
- Place each round of pastry on each ramekin and press down around edges.
- Bake for 30 mins until pastry is golden brown.
- Spelt flour gives an earthy flavour to these pies that perfectly complements the sweet acidity of Modi apples.
Apple Pie Loaf
Makes: 12 slices
- 1½ cups buckwheat flour
- ½ cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup almond milk
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup thinly sliced fresh figs
- 3 Modi™ apples, thinly sliced
- Add buckwheat flour, coconut palm sugar, cinnamon and baking powder to bowl. Mix together until combined.
- In separate bowl, add all wet ingredients: almond milk, eggs and olive oil.
- Beat together and add dry ingredients along with raisins, fig and half of sliced apples.
- Mix together until combined and pour into bread tin.
- Use remaining apple to decorate top of loaf.
- Bake for 50–60 mins. Cool and serve.
Sponsor Recipes: Bio-Beet Kvass
Discover some of the delicious creations you can make with Bio-Beet Kvass.
Sponsor Recipes: Naked Foods Products
Discover some of the delicious creations you can make with Naked Foods Products.
Watch now: WellBeing's editor-in-chief, Terry Robson, speaks to Dr Sandra Cabot about the thyroid gland
WellBeing's editor-in-chief, Terry Robson, speaks to Dr Sandra Cabot about the thyroid gland and the important role it plays in...
Watch now: WellBeing's editor-in-chief, Terry Robson, speaks to Dr Sandra Cabot about a healthy maintenance plan
WellBeing's editor-in-chief, Terry Robson, speaks to Dr Sandra Cabot about a healthy maintenance plan.