White Chocolate, Ricotta and Cardamom Cheesecake Recipe
Traditionally, German cheesecakes are made with quark, a European-style fresh cheese. As it’s not as readily available, I’ve used Greek yoghurt instead and paired it with ricotta to get a lighter, fresher-tasting cheesecake that’s reminiscent of the German variety. I have specified draining the ricotta for 1–2 hours here. If you don’t have the patience, it won’t spoil the recipe; it will just make the end result a little wetter in texture. I also think it’s better having rested in the fridge for a couple of hours (or overnight) after baking but, again, you decide.
- 100g good-quality white chocolate
- 450g ricotta cheese, full-fat, drained for 1–2 hours
- 200g Greek yoghurt or quark
- ½ cup rapadura sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup spelt flour
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- Pinch sea salt
- Fresh berries, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C and grease cake tin with removable base.
- Set bowl on top of small saucepan of simmering water, being sure water isn’t touching bowl.
- Place chocolate in bowl and stir occasionally until melted. Remove from heat.
- Place ricotta and yoghurt in bowl of stand mixer with whisk attachment. Whisk until smooth and combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each one.
- Pour in melted and slightly cooled chocolate and whisk.
- Add spelt flour, spices and salt and whisk slowly to combine.
- Pour mixture into prepared tin, transfer to oven and bake for 50–60 mins, or until cake is golden brown on top and the tiniest bit jiggly in the middle when you shimmy the tin.
- Remove from oven and cool in tin — it will deflate a little as it does.
- Remove tin and transfer to fridge for a couple of hours and serve with fresh berries if desired.
Roasted Beetroot Salad Recipe
Beetroot greens are not to be underestimated. They are rich in antioxidants, potassium, vitamin B6, manganese, copper, vitamin A, calcium...
Cauliflower Hummus Recipe
The cauliflower lends a gorgeous nutty flavour and, garnished with some extra roasted chickpeas and veg, the texture is equally...
Vegetable Marrakesh Casserole Recipe
Root vegetables are stars of the spiced casserole! Sweet potato, pumpkin and carrot are simmered in Moroccan-inspired flavours for a...
Sponsor Recipes: The Bare Bird share three delicious recipes
Discover some of the delicious creations you can make with The Bare Bird.