Zucchini and Potato Cakes with Quick Pickled Beetroot Recipe
The traditional recipe for German potato cakes doesn’t have zucchini in it, but I just love the way it lightens them up and adds more nutrients such as potassium and vitamin C. The quick pickled beetroot cuts through the richness and adds even more vegies to the dish, not to mention a beautiful pop of colour!
Serves: 4 as light lunch
- Pickled Beetroot
- 1 large beetroot
- ½ cup apple-cider vinegar
- ½ cup filtered water
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp black peppercorns
- ½ tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp fresh dill
- 1 large zucchini
- 2 large red-skinned potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp finely chopped leek (white part only)
- 2 tbsp spelt flour
- Salt & pepper
- Ghee, for shallow frying
- Sour cream & extra fresh dill, to serve (optional)
- First make pickled beetroot. Peel beetroot and julienne with sharp knife or peeler. Place in jar or ceramic bowl and set aside.
- Place apple-cider vinegar, water, garlic, bay leaf, peppercorns, caraway seeds and salt in small saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat then stir until salt is dissolved. Pour brine over beetroot and allow to cool to room temperature. Mix through dill, then store in fridge until ready to serve.
- To make potato cakes, grate zucchini and potato and place on clean tea towel. Gather up and squeeze as much moisture out as possible. Place eggs, chopped leek and flour in large bowl and whisk to combine. Add grated vegetables and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat ghee in small frying pan and shallow-fry dollops of mixture for 2–3 mins on each side until golden brown. Serve warm with sour cream, dill and pickled beetroot.
Scrambled Tofu in a Jar Recipe
Just a few years ago, mason jars were only used for canning. Now, it’s super-trendy to serve food in a...
Roasted Timut Pepper and Turmeric Cauliflower Recipe
Cauliflower is a nutritional powerhouse; it’s rich in vitamin C, vitamin K, B vitamins, magnesium and potassium. Try this Roasted...
Vegan Red Capsicum and Kale Quiche Recipe
Ever tried potato pastry? It's not quite as short as traditional pastry, but this quiche is delicious and much healthier...