Zucchini and Potato Cakes with Quick Pickled Beetroot Recipe
The traditional recipe for German potato cakes doesn’t have zucchini in it, but I just love the way it lightens them up and adds more nutrients such as potassium and vitamin C. The quick pickled beetroot cuts through the richness and adds even more vegies to the dish, not to mention a beautiful pop of colour!
Serves: 4 as light lunch
- Pickled Beetroot
- 1 large beetroot
- ½ cup apple-cider vinegar
- ½ cup filtered water
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp black peppercorns
- ½ tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp fresh dill
- 1 large zucchini
- 2 large red-skinned potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp finely chopped leek (white part only)
- 2 tbsp spelt flour
- Salt & pepper
- Ghee, for shallow frying
- Sour cream & extra fresh dill, to serve (optional)
- First make pickled beetroot. Peel beetroot and julienne with sharp knife or peeler. Place in jar or ceramic bowl and set aside.
- Place apple-cider vinegar, water, garlic, bay leaf, peppercorns, caraway seeds and salt in small saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat then stir until salt is dissolved. Pour brine over beetroot and allow to cool to room temperature. Mix through dill, then store in fridge until ready to serve.
- To make potato cakes, grate zucchini and potato and place on clean tea towel. Gather up and squeeze as much moisture out as possible. Place eggs, chopped leek and flour in large bowl and whisk to combine. Add grated vegetables and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat ghee in small frying pan and shallow-fry dollops of mixture for 2–3 mins on each side until golden brown. Serve warm with sour cream, dill and pickled beetroot.
Slow-Cooked Paprika Pulled Pork & Kaleslaw Sandwiches Recipe
Loaded with slow-cooked pulled pork and crunchy kaleslaw, this delicious sandwich is the ultimate at-home lunch or dinner dish.
Ultimate Ham & Cheese Toastie Recipe
This flavoursome crowd-pleaser puts your Christmas leftovers to use in the tastiest and easiest way possible — a gourmet toastie!
Snow Pea & Prawn Salad
This beautiful salad is light yet satisfying and is perfect to whip together when cooking for just one.
Mighty Meatballs Recipe
These little meatballs are delicious as is or served in lettuce cups or wraps. The mix of protein and a...