A glorious entertaining dish that is served at room temperature, meaning you can have it cooked and ready to dress before your guests even arrive. Soft, perfectly cooked salmon is smothered in a delicious coating that combines fresh pops of flavour with rich and earthy spices.
- 1 side salmon or 4-6 large fillets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup almond slivers
- 2 tbsp pomegranate arils
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
- ½ small red onion, sliced paper thin
- Tahini Cream
- 250g Greek yoghurt
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp sumac
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Before you cook your salmon, I highly recommend this step to prevent the albumin (that white pasty-looking stuff) from oozing out of your salmon.
- To do this, you need 2 simple ingredients: cold water and salt. Combine 1 tbsp of salt for every cup of water — make enough so that the salmon is completely submerged.
- Brine your salmon for as little as 10 mins or as long as overnight. Not only does brining your salmon prevent the albumin from leaching out, it also gives you a bit of flexibility when cooking — you’re less likely to end up with a dry piece of salmon if you cook it for a touch too long.
- Remove the side of salmon from the brining solution and pat dry.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Line a large tray with baking paper and place the salmon, skin side down, on the tray.
- Brush the salmon with the olive oil and then bake for 12-15 mins.
- The salmon is done when the internal temperature reaches 60°C or a fork inserted in the middle results in the layers easily flaking apart.
- Once your salmon is cooked, remove and let it cool to room temperature.
- Toast the almond slivers in a dry pan over high heat for up to 5 mins or until they are fragrant and golden — do not let them scorch or they will be bitter.
- Carefully remove the pomegranate arils and prepare the parsley and red onion.
- Place the tahini cream ingredients into the bowl of your stand mixer and whip until creamy.
- Taste and season if required.
- Lay your salmon on a serving platter or over a bed of salad greens, couscous or grains.
- Dollop the tahini cream over the top and then lavishly scatter the parsley, almonds, pomegranate and red onion over the top.
- Serve family-style in the centre of the table.