Apple and Blackberry Crumble Recipe
Slow cookers get used for a lot of savoury dishes, but I often make this sweet Apple and Blackberry Crumble recipe in my slow cooker. I mix up the type of fruits I use: sometimes it’s apple and pear; other times I add some strawberries. It really depends on what’s in season.
- 1kg apples, cored & diced (skin on)
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- ½ cup currants
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 cup blanched almond meal
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 2 tbsp ground sunflowers
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 3 tbsp coconut palm sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup ghee or butter
- Set slow cooker to high and add apple, blackberries, currants, cinnamon and honey. Mix to combine, place lid on and cook for 2 hours. I find you don’t need to add any liquid as the apples give of a lot of liquid when slow cooked.
- To make crumble, add almond meal, brown rice flour, ground sunflower seeds, ground flaxseeds, coconut palm sugar and cinnamon to mixing bowl. Mix until combined. Add ghee or butter and, using fingertips, rub ghee or butter into flour mix. Continue process until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Remove ceramic dish from slow cooker and remove lid. Spread crumble mixture across top in even layer. Place dish in oven and bake at 200C for 30 mins, until top is a lovely golden colour.
Quick Vegetarian Nachos Recipe
I love this meal for a midweek quickie when I have no protein to work with. I try to always...
Indian-Spiced Mince with Peas Recipe
Dinner doesn’t get any more budget friendly, easier or tastier than this Indian Spiced Mince with Peas. It’s one of...
Vegan Pumpkin and Zucchini 'No Pasta' Lasagna
In this recipe, I use pumpkin and zucchini for lasagna and a cashew béchamel sauce. Double the recipe and make...
Baked Sweet Potato Hash Browns Recipe
These hash browns can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, brunch, or dinner. The wholesome savoury flavours of sweet potato team...