Apple and Blackberry Crumble Recipe
Slow cookers get used for a lot of savoury dishes, but I often make this sweet Apple and Blackberry Crumble recipe in my slow cooker. I mix up the type of fruits I use: sometimes it’s apple and pear; other times I add some strawberries. It really depends on what’s in season.
- 1kg apples, cored & diced (skin on)
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- ½ cup currants
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 cup blanched almond meal
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 2 tbsp ground sunflowers
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 3 tbsp coconut palm sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup ghee or butter
- Set slow cooker to high and add apple, blackberries, currants, cinnamon and honey. Mix to combine, place lid on and cook for 2 hours. I find you don’t need to add any liquid as the apples give of a lot of liquid when slow cooked.
- To make crumble, add almond meal, brown rice flour, ground sunflower seeds, ground flaxseeds, coconut palm sugar and cinnamon to mixing bowl. Mix until combined. Add ghee or butter and, using fingertips, rub ghee or butter into flour mix. Continue process until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Remove ceramic dish from slow cooker and remove lid. Spread crumble mixture across top in even layer. Place dish in oven and bake at 200C for 30 mins, until top is a lovely golden colour.
Split Pea Pie with Sweet Potato Topping Recipes
A pastry-free alternative loaded with maximum comfort and nutrition. This would also work well with any leftover legume-based dish you...
Spinach Goat’s Cheese and Pine Nut Tarts Recipe
This tart is a trusty friend when you want to take something simple but special along to a potluck feast...
Mum's Ultimate Shepherd's Pie Recipe
This pie is a far cry from the basic meat and potato pie that most of us remember. The spices...
Roasted Cauliflower and Potato Curry Recipe
Turmeric has been used and well respected for 2500 years in India as an Ayurvedic medicine. This brightly coloured spice,...