Barley, White Bean and Mushroom Risotto Recipe
This is a gorgeous, hearty take on risotto using barley instead of rice, which delivers a lovely chewy, nutty flavour along with a good serve of fibre, selenium, manganese, B vitamins and magnesium.
- 2½ cups vegetable stock or broth
- Small white onion, peeled & diced
- Dash olive oil
- 2–3 cloves garlic, peeled & chopped
- 100g mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup pearl barley
- 125g cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- ½ cup cooked white beans/cannellini beans
- Sprig thyme
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1–2 pieces burrata
- Place stock in saucepan and warm over medium heat. Once hot, turn off heat or just keep it on lowest setting.
- Add onion to separate medium saucepan with some olive oil and sauté for a couple of mins over low-medium heat.
- Add garlic and mushroom and sauté for another 3–4 mins.
- Add barley, tomato, beans and thyme along with about ½ cup stock and stir to combine.
- Once simmering, turn heat to low, cover with lid and cook until stock has been absorbed.
- Keep adding stock and giving a gentle stir every 5 mins or so to prevent sticking.
- Continue until barley is cooked but still a little chewy. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve on plates and nestle a piece of burrata on top to slowly melt into dish.
How to use different teas for natural beauty and abundant health
From green to ginger, mint to matcha, black to blueberry, there’s an abundance of teas to tempt anyone’s taste buds....
Do you ever experience heel pain? It could be plantar fasciitis
Dr Karen Bridgman shares a case of a woman with severe heel pain which was later diagnosed as plantar fasciitis....
Experience spa benefits at home with iHealth Saunas
A Sauna company with a difference, because an iHealth Sauna experience is a retreat in your own home.. iHealth Saunas...
Discover the magic of bird watching
Birdwatching is a diverse and enriching activity. Take in the sights, sounds and scenery of your natural surrounds and immerse...