Barley, White Bean and Mushroom Risotto Recipe
This is a gorgeous, hearty take on risotto using barley instead of rice, which delivers a lovely chewy, nutty flavour along with a good serve of fibre, selenium, manganese, B vitamins and magnesium.
- 2½ cups vegetable stock or broth
- Small white onion, peeled & diced
- Dash olive oil
- 2–3 cloves garlic, peeled & chopped
- 100g mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup pearl barley
- 125g cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- ½ cup cooked white beans/cannellini beans
- Sprig thyme
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1–2 pieces burrata
- Place stock in saucepan and warm over medium heat. Once hot, turn off heat or just keep it on lowest setting.
- Add onion to separate medium saucepan with some olive oil and sauté for a couple of mins over low-medium heat.
- Add garlic and mushroom and sauté for another 3–4 mins.
- Add barley, tomato, beans and thyme along with about ½ cup stock and stir to combine.
- Once simmering, turn heat to low, cover with lid and cook until stock has been absorbed.
- Keep adding stock and giving a gentle stir every 5 mins or so to prevent sticking.
- Continue until barley is cooked but still a little chewy. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve on plates and nestle a piece of burrata on top to slowly melt into dish.
9 tips for longevity from the Blue Zones
Blue Zones are regions of the planet where a high proportion of people live to be over 100 years old....
In conversation with ecostore
We speak with Pablo Kraus, Managing Director of ecostore. Their ethos is to create hardworking, highly effective products for people...
Learn how to cope with criticism and take it in your stride
Criticism is an inevitable component of life, but being prepared for it, and having strategies to deal with it, can...
The good grape: Discover the benefits of grapeseed oil
The seeds of grapes can be compressed into a luxurious beauty oil that’s perfect for the natural skincare beauty. Here...