Barley, White Bean and Mushroom Risotto Recipe
This is a gorgeous, hearty take on risotto using barley instead of rice, which delivers a lovely chewy, nutty flavour along with a good serve of fibre, selenium, manganese, B vitamins and magnesium.
- 2½ cups vegetable stock or broth
- Small white onion, peeled & diced
- Dash olive oil
- 2–3 cloves garlic, peeled & chopped
- 100g mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup pearl barley
- 125g cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- ½ cup cooked white beans/cannellini beans
- Sprig thyme
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1–2 pieces burrata
- Place stock in saucepan and warm over medium heat. Once hot, turn off heat or just keep it on lowest setting.
- Add onion to separate medium saucepan with some olive oil and sauté for a couple of mins over low-medium heat.
- Add garlic and mushroom and sauté for another 3–4 mins.
- Add barley, tomato, beans and thyme along with about ½ cup stock and stir to combine.
- Once simmering, turn heat to low, cover with lid and cook until stock has been absorbed.
- Keep adding stock and giving a gentle stir every 5 mins or so to prevent sticking.
- Continue until barley is cooked but still a little chewy. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve on plates and nestle a piece of burrata on top to slowly melt into dish.
Fish for the brain & capers for the heart: Here's the latest in health research
From plant-based diets to cinnamon's effects on blood sugar levels and the benefits of eating fish for your brain health,...
Detox Teabag Box - Byron Bay Tea Company
Cleanse, revitalise and feel great with this zesty blend of bitter and sweet herbs, and warming spices.
Calming Leaf Box - Byron Bay Tea Company
An exquisite, soothing evening tea combining Chamomile, Passionflower and Lime flower with Vanilla Bean and Cinnamon.
Immunity Leaf Tin - Byron Bay Tea Company
A healthy, refreshing tea for busy people to enjoy any time of the day or when you need that gentle...