Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup Recipe
The long cooking time in this Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup recipe really accentuates the strong cauliflower and broccoli taste and smell, which is delicious if you’re a fan, but it’s not for everyone. Here, I’ve used soaked and blended cashew nuts in place of cream to make it vegan. You might be surprised at just how beautifully “creamy” it tastes.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 large leek, white part only, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 400g head broccoli
- 900g head cauliflower, leaves removed
- Salt & ½ tsp ground white pepper
- Steamed extra broccoli & cauliflower, to serve
- Place cashews in large bowl and cover completely with cold water. Allow to soak for 4 hours while soup cooks.
- Cook leek in olive oil over medium heat for 5–10 mins until nice and soft and beginning to brown. Scoop into slow cooker.
- Slice broccoli into very large florets and slice stem into discs. Repeat with cauliflower and add both to slow cooker. Fill with water to cover halfway up vegetables. Cook on low for 4 hours.
- Drain cashews and place in high-powered blender. Pour in ½ cup filtered water and blitz until smooth and creamy. Puree soup with stick blender or add in batches to blender.
- Stir in the cashew cream and season with salt and white pepper. Serve with extra steamed vegies on top or chunks of sourdough for dipping.
Mango and Coconut Ice Blocks Recipe
These delicious ice blocks make a healthy treat for the whole family. They are a nutritious alternative to sugar-laden store-bought...
Chocolate, Avocado and Berry Cake Recipe
This delicious cake caters to many intolerances as it’s dairy-, egg- and gluten-free and vegan. It gets a lovely richness...
Coconut and Tapioca Pudding with Pineapple Flowers Recipe
Traditionally, tapioca pudding in Sri Lanka is made with condensed milk and quite a lot of sugar. This is my...
Cauliflower Hummus Recipe
The cauliflower lends a gorgeous nutty flavour and, garnished with some extra roasted chickpeas and veg, the texture is equally...