Brussels Sprout, Kale and Feta Pie Recipe
Paying homage to the humble Brussels sprout, this pie is a lovely combination of deliciousness and goodness. Packed with fibre, protein, calcium and the goodness of greens, it makes a delicious dinner but also travels well in lunchboxes for a nice surprise.
Makes: 1 pie
- 1 piece good quality puff pastry (or your own homemade pastry if you prefer)
- 12 Brussels sprouts
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled & sliced
- 4–5 eggs
- ½ cup milk of choice
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- Sea salt, to taste
- 100g feta, roughly chopped
- 2 leaves of kale, destemmed & roughly torn
- Preheat oven to 200°C and thaw puff pastry as you prepare filling.
- Slice sprouts in half, drizzle with balsamic vinegar, olive oil and good pinch of salt, place on baking tray and bake for 10–15 mins until tops just begin to caramelise.
- Press pastry into lined pie dish, prick a few times with fork and place in oven for 10 mins until it starts to turn golden.
- Meanwhile, place onion in small saucepan with a little olive oil or piece of butter and sauté on low-medium heat until caramelised.
- Whisk eggs, milk, mustard and pinch of salt together.
- Remove pastry and Brussels sprouts from oven.
- Place onions in layer covering base of pie. Arrange sprouts, feta and kale on top.
- Pour egg mixture over and return pie to oven.
- Bake for 20 mins or until egg is cooked through.
Mauritian Lentil Soup
This Mauritian-inspired red lentil soup is the ultimate comfort food. Easy to whip together, it’s warming to the body, with...
Oven-Baked Vegie Fritters
These tasty vegie fritters are loaded with dietary fibre for good bowel health, beta-carotene for healthy vision and complex carbohydrates...
Give sugar the flick with this honey-sweetened lemon tart: you’ll never look back. If you are a real honey fan...
English Baked Beans on Toast
Tinned baked beans are full of sugar and salt. Once you’ve tried this recipe, you won’t buy tinned beans ever...