Chicken, Turmeric Immunity Soup
This is my go-to soup whenever I feel a cold or flu coming on. Warm nourishing foods like this help to keep the body at a flu-fighting temperature and fend off any nasties. It’s laden with garlic – a fantastic antimicrobial, antifungal and immune booster, turmeric – a powerful anti-inflammatory, and ginger a robust digestive.
- 500g chicken thigh, sliced into small chunks
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1½ cups finely chopped celery
- 1½ cups finely chopped carrots
- 2L organic chicken stock
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 2 tsp finely grated turmeric (or 2 tsp dried turmeric if you prefer)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Generous pinch sea salt
- Add the chicken and a dash of olive oil to a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook for 5-6 mins, or until lightly browned and just cooked through. Remove from the pan and slice into even smaller chunks. Set aside.
- Return the saucepan to the heat. Add the finely chopped celery, carrots and onion, and another dash of olive oil on medium heat. Let it cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-6 mins or until the vegetables soften.
- Add your stock to the saucepan, together with the garlic, ginger and turmeric. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 5-10 mins or until vegetables soften further. Add in the chicken chunks and lemon juice. Cook for a further 2-3 mins, or until everything is combined and the chicken has cooked through. Season to taste with sea salt. Serve immediately.
- Tip: Boost the immune system using this recipe by adding as much garlic as you can tolerate! Garlic is a fantastic antimicrobial, antifungal and immune booster.
9 tips for longevity from the Blue Zones
Blue Zones are regions of the planet where a high proportion of people live to be over 100 years old....
In conversation with ecostore
We speak with Pablo Kraus, Managing Director of ecostore. Their ethos is to create hardworking, highly effective products for people...
Learn how to cope with criticism and take it in your stride
Criticism is an inevitable component of life, but being prepared for it, and having strategies to deal with it, can...
The good grape: Discover the benefits of grapeseed oil
The seeds of grapes can be compressed into a luxurious beauty oil that’s perfect for the natural skincare beauty. Here...