Chickpea Pasta with Nomato Sauce Recipe
This sauce is for those who have children who refuse to eat tomatoes, or who can’t eat them themselves. It’s vegetable-rich and full of hearty Italian flavours, while staying low in kilojoules too. Serve with a chickpea pasta or other pulse- or legume-based pasta for a nutrient-dense meal.
GF, V, VG
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled & sliced
- 6 medium carrots, trimmed & diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 brown onion, peeled & diced
- 2 cups diced mushrooms
- ¼ cup red-wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Sea salt & black pepper
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 500g chickpea or pulse pasta
- Heat an extra-large frying pan on medium heat and add olive oil, garlic, carrots, celery and onion. Cover and cook for 20 mins to sweat the vegetables, stirring frequently throughout.
- Add mushrooms, 2 cups water, red-wine vinegar, basil, oregano, bay leaves and parsley and season with sea salt and black pepper. Cook for 30 mins covered, then remove lid and cook a further 20 mins uncovered.
- Remove bay leaves and put mixture into food processor or blender.
- Add 1 cup water and 2 tbsp nutritional yeast and blend to a thick sauce or ragu-like consistency.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, add pasta and cook until al dente.
- Warm the sauce in the frying pan or toss with drained pasta in the pot to heat again.
- Serve with fresh leafy green side salad if desired.
Plant-Based Buckwheat Crêpes with Strawberries Recipe
Amazing how easy it is to swap to plant-based recipes without ever feeling you’re missing out, and these buckwheat crepes...
Smoked Tofu, Avocado & Asparagus Vegan Benedict Recipe
Memorable meals can easily be reproduced with vegan ingredients, and this tofu vegan benedict will absolutely wow you in the...
Chocolate Nice Cream with Strawberries Recipe
Decadent and sweet with natural sugars, this choc nice cream is the perfect sweet treat or pancake topper — and...
Original Coconut Amino Sauce — Niulife
The original not-soy sauce that’s famous for flavour. This soy-free seasoning sauce is all-natural, non-GMO and gluten free. Made from...