Chinese Chicken Shiitake Pie Recipe
This pie is one of the family’s new favourites. Whenever we have a roast chicken for dinner, I throw in an extra chook and use the meat for school lunches and to make this simple pie for dinner. The combination of protein with vegetables, shiitake mushrooms and warming spices makes it a great immune-supportive winter meal.
- 8-10 shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tbsp ginger, finely grated
- 2 cloves garlic, finely grated
- Bunch spring onions, white part finely sliced
- 250mL chicken bone broth or stock
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- Kernels of 1 corn cob
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 bunch coriander, leaves, finely diced
- 1 sheet all-butter puff pastry, defrosted but chilled
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- In large pot, place mushrooms, ginger, garlic, spring onions, broth or stock and Chinese five spice. Bring to boil then reduce immediately to simmer for 5 mins.
- Add chicken, corn and carrots and cook for another 5 mins.
- In small bowl, make slurry by combining arrowroot and water. Stir this into pot to thicken juices.
- Turn off heat and stir in coriander.
- Remove pastry from fridge and, using dishes you are going to bake pies in, cut pastry to size.
- Divide pie filling between 4 small bowls or ramekins.
- Top with pastry lids and bake immediately for 15 mins or until pastry has puffed and turned golden brown.
Sponsor Recipes: Bake Mixes
Discover some of the delicious recipes you can make with Bake Mixes.
Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe
If you’re not normally a lover of Brussels sprouts, this dish is sure to turn you into a fan! The...
Sponsor Recipes: Golden Door
Discover some of the delicious recipes you can make with McKenzie’s.
Sponsor Recipes: Tilda Products
Discover some of the delicious recipes you can make with Tilda Products.