Chinese Chicken Shiitake Pie Recipe
This pie is one of the family’s new favourites. Whenever we have a roast chicken for dinner, I throw in an extra chook and use the meat for school lunches and to make this simple pie for dinner. The combination of protein with vegetables, shiitake mushrooms and warming spices makes it a great immune-supportive winter meal.
- 8-10 shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tbsp ginger, finely grated
- 2 cloves garlic, finely grated
- Bunch spring onions, white part finely sliced
- 250mL chicken bone broth or stock
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- Kernels of 1 corn cob
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 bunch coriander, leaves, finely diced
- 1 sheet all-butter puff pastry, defrosted but chilled
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- In large pot, place mushrooms, ginger, garlic, spring onions, broth or stock and Chinese five spice. Bring to boil then reduce immediately to simmer for 5 mins.
- Add chicken, corn and carrots and cook for another 5 mins.
- In small bowl, make slurry by combining arrowroot and water. Stir this into pot to thicken juices.
- Turn off heat and stir in coriander.
- Remove pastry from fridge and, using dishes you are going to bake pies in, cut pastry to size.
- Divide pie filling between 4 small bowls or ramekins.
- Top with pastry lids and bake immediately for 15 mins or until pastry has puffed and turned golden brown.
Chickpea Vegetable Tagine Recipe
Science confirms that diets containing a diverse range of vegetables produce healthier gut bacteria. So while eating vegetables is important,...
Split Pea, Smoked Tofu and Barley Soup Recipe
When I was a kid, my mum made the best pea and ham soup. Now that I’m vegan I’ve created...
Vegie Balls & Wholemeal Penne in Tomato Sauce with Pesto Recipe
This is my plant-based version of the classic Italian pasta and meatballs. You can make super-good balls from vegies and...
Slow-Cooked Lamb and Pomegranate Salad Recipe
Lamb is a good sources of vitamin B12 which plays a vital role in healthy nervous system and brain function....