Fishcakes with Avocado and Yoghurt Sauce Recipe
I have memories of my mum making fishcakes when I was growing up. Making your own mash is easy, plus you get to avoid emulsifiers and preservatives from store-bought mash. I use a combination of sweet potato and white potato for added flavour and nutrition and also use cooked fresh fish rather than tinned, which makes them extra delicious. Choose a mild white fish for a milder flavour, something like mackerel for a stronger flavour or even a combination of both.
Serves: 8 small fishcakes
- 250g sweet potato, cubed
- 250g white potato, cubed
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- Zest 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp capers, roughly chopped
- ½ cup chopped fresh herbs, such as dill, tarragon & parsley
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 175g (approx.) cooked fish (see note above)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (gluten-free if need be — preferred bread toasted & blitzed)
- Ghee, butter or oil, for frying
- Avocado Yoghurt Sauce
- ½ cup yoghurt
- ½ avocado
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- Sea salt & black pepper, to taste
- Place both kinds of potato in saucepan with garlic and cover with water. Bring to boil and simmer until tender.
- Drain and mash potatoes and garlic together and add lemon zest, capers and herbs, mixing well to combine.
- Add sea salt and black pepper, and taste, adding a little more if necessary.
- Break fish into rough chunks and gently stir through.
- Shape mixture into 8 patties and place in fridge to set for at least 30 mins.
- Whisk egg in small bowl and arrange breadcrumbs on plate.
- Dip each fishcake in egg, then press gently into breadcrumbs to coat.
- Add a little ghee or oil to frypan and lightly fry fishcakes in batches for 7–8 mins each side, until nice and golden, placing on plate lined with paper towel once cooked.
- To make sauce, blitz or mash together all ingredients until smooth.
Fragrant Chicken Broth with Tofu Recipe
This fragrant broth is filled with so much goodness that just the aroma makes you feel better. Enjoy our Fragrant...
Gluten-Free Chocolate Pancakes with Mocha Fudge Sauce Recipe
These delicious gluten-free pancakes make the perfect weekend breakfast or afternoon treat.
5 healthy whole grains to add to your weekly food plan
A triple treat — nutritious, delicious and numerous — grains are powerhouses of nourishment and each of the many varieties...
Roast Sweet Potato, Hummus & Quinoa Poke Bowl Recipe
You’ll notice that a lot of the components of one poke bowl can be used in another. Enjoy my Roast...