Fishcakes with Avocado and Yoghurt Sauce Recipe
I have memories of my mum making fishcakes when I was growing up. Making your own mash is easy, plus you get to avoid emulsifiers and preservatives from store-bought mash. I use a combination of sweet potato and white potato for added flavour and nutrition and also use cooked fresh fish rather than tinned, which makes them extra delicious. Choose a mild white fish for a milder flavour, something like mackerel for a stronger flavour or even a combination of both.
Serves: 8 small fishcakes
- 250g sweet potato, cubed
- 250g white potato, cubed
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- Zest 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp capers, roughly chopped
- ½ cup chopped fresh herbs, such as dill, tarragon & parsley
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 175g (approx.) cooked fish (see note above)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (gluten-free if need be — preferred bread toasted & blitzed)
- Ghee, butter or oil, for frying
- Avocado Yoghurt Sauce
- ½ cup yoghurt
- ½ avocado
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- Sea salt & black pepper, to taste
- Place both kinds of potato in saucepan with garlic and cover with water. Bring to boil and simmer until tender.
- Drain and mash potatoes and garlic together and add lemon zest, capers and herbs, mixing well to combine.
- Add sea salt and black pepper, and taste, adding a little more if necessary.
- Break fish into rough chunks and gently stir through.
- Shape mixture into 8 patties and place in fridge to set for at least 30 mins.
- Whisk egg in small bowl and arrange breadcrumbs on plate.
- Dip each fishcake in egg, then press gently into breadcrumbs to coat.
- Add a little ghee or oil to frypan and lightly fry fishcakes in batches for 7–8 mins each side, until nice and golden, placing on plate lined with paper towel once cooked.
- To make sauce, blitz or mash together all ingredients until smooth.
Healthy Seed Crackers Recipe
Looking for a snack that is nut-, dairy- or gluten-free, with an egg-free option, too? Try our delicious Healthy Seed...
Banana Berry Bliss Smoothie Bowl Recipe
Bananas are one of the best sources of vitamin B6, which is needed for a healthy nervous system. They also...
Frittata with Tomato Tops, Silverbeet Stalks and Whole Pumpkin Recipe
A wonderful way to use up vegetables and avoid food waste is by making this Frittata with Tomato Tops, Silverbeet...