Leek & Hot Smoked Trout Croquettes Recipe
Feel free to change the protein element in this gluten-free appetiser. These would be lovely if you replaced the smoked trout with ham, smoked salmon or goats cheese to make them vegetarian.
Makes: 10 croquettes
- 2-3 large potatoes, peeled & cut into quarters
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek, sliced & washed well
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 200g hot smoked trout, shredded into pieces
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- Add the potatoes to a large pan of water, bring to the boil and simmer until cooked. Strain them and then put the strainer into the pan and set aside without a lid. This is an important step as the remaining heat in the pan will cause the potatoes to dry out slightly and will avoid them becoming mushy.
- Mash the potatoes well and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive in a large fry pan and add the sliced leeks. Cook over a medium heat until the leeks are soft and have begun to caramelise. Remove from the heat and add to the mashed potatoes.
- To the mashed potatoes also add salt, Dijon mustard, fresh dill, lemon juice and shredded smoked trout. Mix until everything is well combined.
- Divide the mixture into 10 and shape each piece into a round patty. If you wet your hands slightly before shaping the patty, it avoids it sticking to your hands.
- Assemble your crumbing line: put the brown rice flour onto a plate, beat the eggs in a small bowl and add the breadcrumbs to another plate. Begin by coating a patty in the brown rice flour, then dipping it into the egg mixture and finally coating it in the breadcrumbs, then set aside on a separate plate. Continue this process until you have coated each of your 10 patties.
- Heat 5 tbsp of olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Cook each patty for a few mins on each side until golden brown and crunchy. You don’t need to cook these for long as the mixture is already cooked.
Smoked Salmon with Zucchini Pasta Recipe
This gluten-free zucchini pasta recipe is perfect for summer days when you're craving pasta without that heavy carb feeling.
Organic Chickpea Fusilli — Explore Cuisine
With an appetizing Mediterranean and Middle Eastern flair, Explore Cuisine’s Chickpea Fusilli is a healthy choice that will please the...
Organic Black Rice Fusilli — Explore Cuisine
The blended organic red, brown and black rice make this pasta truly exceptional and “one-of-a-kind”. The rice is cultivated in...
Organic Thai Red Rice Rigatoni — Explore Cuisine
Explore Cuisine’s Thai Red Rice Rigatoni is a healthy choice that will please the family and simplify your life. Cooks...