Leek & Hot Smoked Trout Croquettes Recipe
Feel free to change the protein element in this gluten-free appetiser. These would be lovely if you replaced the smoked trout with ham, smoked salmon or goats cheese to make them vegetarian.
Makes: 10 croquettes
- 2-3 large potatoes, peeled & cut into quarters
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek, sliced & washed well
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 200g hot smoked trout, shredded into pieces
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- Add the potatoes to a large pan of water, bring to the boil and simmer until cooked. Strain them and then put the strainer into the pan and set aside without a lid. This is an important step as the remaining heat in the pan will cause the potatoes to dry out slightly and will avoid them becoming mushy.
- Mash the potatoes well and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive in a large fry pan and add the sliced leeks. Cook over a medium heat until the leeks are soft and have begun to caramelise. Remove from the heat and add to the mashed potatoes.
- To the mashed potatoes also add salt, Dijon mustard, fresh dill, lemon juice and shredded smoked trout. Mix until everything is well combined.
- Divide the mixture into 10 and shape each piece into a round patty. If you wet your hands slightly before shaping the patty, it avoids it sticking to your hands.
- Assemble your crumbing line: put the brown rice flour onto a plate, beat the eggs in a small bowl and add the breadcrumbs to another plate. Begin by coating a patty in the brown rice flour, then dipping it into the egg mixture and finally coating it in the breadcrumbs, then set aside on a separate plate. Continue this process until you have coated each of your 10 patties.
- Heat 5 tbsp of olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Cook each patty for a few mins on each side until golden brown and crunchy. You don’t need to cook these for long as the mixture is already cooked.
Veggie Rice Balls Recipe
These rice balls make a tasty lunch on-the-go or can be added to a wrap or served with a salad...
Green Goddess Rolls Recipe
Packed full of fresh flavours and textures and oh so easy to make, these ricepaper rolls are perfect for work...
Veggie Soup in a Jar with Flavour Hits Recipe
Looking for an easy on-the-go lunch? This veggie soup in a jar has got you covered, with 3 delicious and...
Rainbow Nourish Bowl Recipe
This nourishing bowl is full of all the colours of the rainbow with flavours to match. It’s the perfect way...