Gluten-Free Strawberry Strudel Recipe
This is a healthy gluten-free version of a traditional German strudel. Making your own healthy pastry instead of buying store-bought is a great way to make sure your strudel doesn’t contain any harmful trans fats, which are linked to the development of cardiovascular disease, cancer and obesity.
- 2 cups strawberries
- 2 heaped tbsp chia seeds
- 3–4 tbsp raw honey
- 2 cups almond meal
- 2 tbsp cold-pressed coconut oil, softened
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar, plus extra
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 organic egg
- Pinch sea salt
- ¼ cup strawberry chia jam (recipe above)
- 200g cream cheese
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste
- ⅓ cup strawberries, sliced
- Flaked almonds
- Ice-cream or yoghurt, to serve
- To make jam, place strawberries, chia seeds and raw honey in food processor and blend until well combined. Pour into small saucepan and heat on low for around 6 mins, until jam starts to thicken. Pour into glass jar and allow to cool before putting in fridge. It will last for a week.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Cover baking tray with baking paper.
- Place almond meal, coconut oil, coconut sugar, cinnamon, egg and sea salt in food processor and blend until well combined and mixture forms balls.
- Between 2 pieces of baking paper, roll out pastry until thin and forming a square.
- In small bowl, mix cream cheese with honey and vanilla bean paste.
- Down centre of pastry, leaving around 5cm clear either side, spread cream cheese in thick strip, also leaving 2.5cm of pastry clear at either end.
- Layer cream cheese with strawberry chia jam and sliced strawberries.
- Cut six strips down each side of strudel.
- Fold over ends of pastry then, one at a time, fold over strips of pastry from alternating sides.
- Sprinkle strudel with coconut sugar and almond flakes and bake for 35–40 mins, until it starts to go golden brown.
- Delicious served hot with healthy ice-cream or yoghurt.
Discover organic at our Wellbeing Directory
Like what you read?
Sign up for a weekly dose of wellness
Lemon and Berry Pancakes Recipe
These Gluten-free Healthy Lemon and Berry Pancakes remind use of a lemon and berry cheesecake. They taste so good!
Pear and Cinnamon Pancakes Recipe
These thin Pear and Cinnamon Pancakes are worth the little bit of extra time they take to make. Plus, the...
Smoked Kransky and Sweet Potato Stew with Red Sauerkraut Recipe
In this dish, be sure to buy the best-quality kransky sausages you can find at a reputable butcher or deli...