Gluten-Free Strawberry Strudel Recipe
This is a healthy gluten-free version of a traditional German strudel. Making your own healthy pastry instead of buying store-bought is a great way to make sure your strudel doesn’t contain any harmful trans fats, which are linked to the development of cardiovascular disease, cancer and obesity.
- 2 cups strawberries
- 2 heaped tbsp chia seeds
- 3–4 tbsp raw honey
- 2 cups almond meal
- 2 tbsp cold-pressed coconut oil, softened
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar, plus extra
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 organic egg
- Pinch sea salt
- ¼ cup strawberry chia jam (recipe above)
- 200g cream cheese
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste
- ⅓ cup strawberries, sliced
- Flaked almonds
- Ice-cream or yoghurt, to serve
- To make jam, place strawberries, chia seeds and raw honey in food processor and blend until well combined. Pour into small saucepan and heat on low for around 6 mins, until jam starts to thicken. Pour into glass jar and allow to cool before putting in fridge. It will last for a week.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Cover baking tray with baking paper.
- Place almond meal, coconut oil, coconut sugar, cinnamon, egg and sea salt in food processor and blend until well combined and mixture forms balls.
- Between 2 pieces of baking paper, roll out pastry until thin and forming a square.
- In small bowl, mix cream cheese with honey and vanilla bean paste.
- Down centre of pastry, leaving around 5cm clear either side, spread cream cheese in thick strip, also leaving 2.5cm of pastry clear at either end.
- Layer cream cheese with strawberry chia jam and sliced strawberries.
- Cut six strips down each side of strudel.
- Fold over ends of pastry then, one at a time, fold over strips of pastry from alternating sides.
- Sprinkle strudel with coconut sugar and almond flakes and bake for 35–40 mins, until it starts to go golden brown.
- Delicious served hot with healthy ice-cream or yoghurt.
Fragrant Chicken Broth with Tofu Recipe
This fragrant broth is filled with so much goodness that just the aroma makes you feel better. Enjoy our Fragrant...
Gluten-Free Chocolate Pancakes with Mocha Fudge Sauce Recipe
These delicious gluten-free pancakes make the perfect weekend breakfast or afternoon treat.
5 healthy whole grains to add to your weekly food plan
A triple treat — nutritious, delicious and numerous — grains are powerhouses of nourishment and each of the many varieties...
Roast Sweet Potato, Hummus & Quinoa Poke Bowl Recipe
You’ll notice that a lot of the components of one poke bowl can be used in another. Enjoy my Roast...