Gluten-free and Vegan Cauliflower “Cheese” Soup Recipe
This liver-loving, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant-rich Gluten-free and Vegan Cauliflower “Cheese” Soup has been enriched with nutritional yeast, lending an extra dose of B vitamins. As an alternative to smoked tofu, you could use chickpeas — sprinkle with a little smoked paprika and olive oil and bake as you would the tofu. Also, if you don’t need the dish to be vegan, stir through ¼ cup grated parmesan or your favourite cheese before serving. Either way, it’s a warm and comforting meal best enjoyed snuggled on the couch.
- ½ cauliflower (around 350g), chopped into small pieces
- 1 medium potato, skin on & diced
- 3 cloves garlic, whole & peeled
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tbsp oil, butter or ghee
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 100g smoked tofu, cut into small dice
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast or more to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- Tofu croutons & chilli flakes, to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Drizzle cauliflower with a little oil and place on lined baking tray. Bake at for 20–30 mins (you want it just tender but not charred).
- Meanwhile, add 2½ cups water to saucepan. Add potato and garlic cloves and simmer until potato is tender. Reserve cooking water.
- In medium-sized saucepan, add onion and oil and sauté over low heat until onion is soft.
- Add turmeric and stir through, just for 30 secs until fragrant.
- Cauliflower and potato should be ready by now, but if not, remove onion mix from heat.
- Place tofu on a baking tray (I use same as for cauliflower) and bake for 15–20 mins or until a nice colour and beginning to almost puff out a little.
- Once tender, add cauliflower, potato, garlic cloves and potato cooking water to onion.
- Cook for around 5 mins, then remove from heat. Stir though nutritional yeast and olive oil.
- Using stick blender, blend soup until smooth. Taste and add salt if needed.
- Serve topped with tofu croutons and chilli flakes if desired.
Tahini Choc Chip Cookies Recipes
As a mum and nutritionist, I’m always trying to find more nourishing ways to create the family favourites — especially...
Tahini Icy Poles Recipes
For as long as I can remember there has been a healthy version of icy poles in my life. My...
Pumpkin Soup with Tahini and Pistachios Recipe
The whole family will love this pumpkin soup! Adding tahini gives the soup a nutty flavour and creamy texture, plus...
Spelt and Star Anise Biscuits Recipe
I’ve been making versions of these biscuits since the kids were little. The original recipe is inspired by Jude Blereau....