Gluten-free and Vegan Cauliflower “Cheese” Soup Recipe
This liver-loving, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant-rich Gluten-free and Vegan Cauliflower “Cheese” Soup has been enriched with nutritional yeast, lending an extra dose of B vitamins. As an alternative to smoked tofu, you could use chickpeas — sprinkle with a little smoked paprika and olive oil and bake as you would the tofu. Also, if you don’t need the dish to be vegan, stir through ¼ cup grated parmesan or your favourite cheese before serving. Either way, it’s a warm and comforting meal best enjoyed snuggled on the couch.
- ½ cauliflower (around 350g), chopped into small pieces
- 1 medium potato, skin on & diced
- 3 cloves garlic, whole & peeled
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tbsp oil, butter or ghee
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 100g smoked tofu, cut into small dice
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast or more to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- Tofu croutons & chilli flakes, to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Drizzle cauliflower with a little oil and place on lined baking tray. Bake at for 20–30 mins (you want it just tender but not charred).
- Meanwhile, add 2½ cups water to saucepan. Add potato and garlic cloves and simmer until potato is tender. Reserve cooking water.
- In medium-sized saucepan, add onion and oil and sauté over low heat until onion is soft.
- Add turmeric and stir through, just for 30 secs until fragrant.
- Cauliflower and potato should be ready by now, but if not, remove onion mix from heat.
- Place tofu on a baking tray (I use same as for cauliflower) and bake for 15–20 mins or until a nice colour and beginning to almost puff out a little.
- Once tender, add cauliflower, potato, garlic cloves and potato cooking water to onion.
- Cook for around 5 mins, then remove from heat. Stir though nutritional yeast and olive oil.
- Using stick blender, blend soup until smooth. Taste and add salt if needed.
- Serve topped with tofu croutons and chilli flakes if desired.
Discover organic at our Wellbeing Directory
Like what you read?
Sign up for a weekly dose of wellness
Vegan Gado Gado Rolls Recipe
Gado gado means medley, which refers to all the different seasonal vegies and ingredients that are used throughout Indonesia. You...
Chickpea and Cauliflower Dumplings in Spiced Tomato Sauce Recipe
This dish is both nurturing and nourishing. It’s full of flavour and the tomato sauce really complements the dumplings’ texture.
Fibre-Rich Baked Veg Mash Recipe
This delicious vegie mash is suitable for vegetarians but you can also replace the vegetable broth with beef or chicken...