Gluten-free and Vegan Cauliflower “Cheese” Soup Recipe
This liver-loving, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant-rich Gluten-free and Vegan Cauliflower “Cheese” Soup has been enriched with nutritional yeast, lending an extra dose of B vitamins. As an alternative to smoked tofu, you could use chickpeas — sprinkle with a little smoked paprika and olive oil and bake as you would the tofu. Also, if you don’t need the dish to be vegan, stir through ¼ cup grated parmesan or your favourite cheese before serving. Either way, it’s a warm and comforting meal best enjoyed snuggled on the couch.
- ½ cauliflower (around 350g), chopped into small pieces
- 1 medium potato, skin on & diced
- 3 cloves garlic, whole & peeled
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tbsp oil, butter or ghee
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 100g smoked tofu, cut into small dice
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast or more to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- Tofu croutons & chilli flakes, to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Drizzle cauliflower with a little oil and place on lined baking tray. Bake at for 20–30 mins (you want it just tender but not charred).
- Meanwhile, add 2½ cups water to saucepan. Add potato and garlic cloves and simmer until potato is tender. Reserve cooking water.
- In medium-sized saucepan, add onion and oil and sauté over low heat until onion is soft.
- Add turmeric and stir through, just for 30 secs until fragrant.
- Cauliflower and potato should be ready by now, but if not, remove onion mix from heat.
- Place tofu on a baking tray (I use same as for cauliflower) and bake for 15–20 mins or until a nice colour and beginning to almost puff out a little.
- Once tender, add cauliflower, potato, garlic cloves and potato cooking water to onion.
- Cook for around 5 mins, then remove from heat. Stir though nutritional yeast and olive oil.
- Using stick blender, blend soup until smooth. Taste and add salt if needed.
- Serve topped with tofu croutons and chilli flakes if desired.
Spiced Carrot Dip Recipe
Mad for carrots? We are too! They are a regular player in our snack bag on the run. Try our...
Egg Salad Cos Cups Recipe
Create a fun dish to have at your next picnic that looks impressive! Try our Egg salad cos cups recipe...
Rainbow Salad in a Jar Recipe
Finding ways of eating good food on the go saves money and ensures you make a great choices. Enjoy our...