Iron-boosting Eggplant and Spinach Lasagne Recipe
Who doesn’t love a good lasagne? Even better, who doesn’t love a gluten-free vegie-loaded lasagne? The addition of frozen spinach is a great way to get a little extra iron boost to your dish. For a quick midweek meal, prepare the eggplant tomato sauce in advance and keep in the fridge, pop on pasta, grilled chicken, veg, or even on its own for a healthy dip!
- Eggplant Tomato Sauce
- ¼ cup olive oil
1 large eggplant, washed & diced
- 1 whole garlic bulb, cloves finely chopped
- Large handful thyme, whole sprigs
- Large handful oregano, roughly chopped
- Large handful basil, roughly chopped
- 1 heaped tbsp dried herbs
- 800g tin whole peeled tomatoes
Salt & pepper to taste
- ¼ cup apple-cider vinegar
250g frozen spinach
- Gluten-free lasagne sheets
- 375g ricotta
- 1 egg
- Pinch nutmeg
- Pinch Himalayan salt
- Pinch cracked pepper
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- 1 heaped tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- Start with the eggplant tomato sauce. Heat olive oil in pan over medium heat, add eggplant and cook for 10 mins, stirring occasionally. (Tip: Add 1–2 tbsp water midway through to help with cooking process or add more oil.)
- Add garlic, thyme, oregano, basil and mixed herbs and cook over low heat for 2 mins.
- Add tomatoes, salt and pepper and apple-cider vinegar. Cook for a further 15–20 mins.
- The eggplant absorbs a lot of the moisture during the baking process, so don’t be alarmed if you have it quite runny when layering. If mix is too thick, add in 1–2 tbsp water to loosen.
- While eggplant is cooking, start ricotta mix.
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients until combined. Set aside.
- Defrost frozen spinach and set aside too.
- Once everything is cooked, assemble lasagne by starting with thin layer of eggplant-tomato mix to prevent pasta sheets from sticking.
- Layer with pasta sheets, then spread spinach over, then add another layer of pasta, then the ricotta mix. Continue until you reach top of dish.
- Finish with ricotta layer and grate extra parmesan on top.
- Bake in oven for 45–60 mins.
- Tip: Make sure pasta sheets are covered completely with the wet mix, to help with even cooking process.
Mauritian Lentil Soup
This Mauritian-inspired red lentil soup is the ultimate comfort food. Easy to whip together, it’s warming to the body, with...
Oven-Baked Vegie Fritters
These tasty vegie fritters are loaded with dietary fibre for good bowel health, beta-carotene for healthy vision and complex carbohydrates...
Give sugar the flick with this honey-sweetened lemon tart: you’ll never look back. If you are a real honey fan...
English Baked Beans on Toast
Tinned baked beans are full of sugar and salt. Once you’ve tried this recipe, you won’t buy tinned beans ever...