Jackfruit Sago Pudding Recipe
Inspiration for this dish came from my Singaporean friend Ju’eta, but I swapped out white sugar for coconut sugar with fantastic results. The coconut sugar creates a beautiful caramel sauce that’s tempered by the lemon-marinated jackfruit, resulting in a lovely balanced dessert.
- 1 cup small tapioca pearls
- 150g tin young jackfruit, drained of brine
- Juice ¼ lemon
- ½ tsp pink salt
- 1 cup coconut sugar + 2 tbsp extra
- 1 lemongrass stick
- 600mL coconut milk
- Add tapioca pearls to large bowl and cover with cold water. Allow to soak for 20 mins, then drain.
- Slice jackfruit into small pieces and place in small bowl with lemon juice, ¼ tsp salt and 2 tbsp coconut sugar. Mix and leave to marinate.
- Slice lemongrass stick into 3 pieces and press down on each with blade of large knife to bruise it and release the flavour. Place in saucepan with coconut milk over medium heat. Cook for a few minutes until hot then stir in cup of coconut sugar and bring to boil. Boil briefly for 2 mins then remove lemongrass and discard.
- Turn heat down to low and add drained tapioca pearls. Stir for 2 mins, then take off heat. Allow to sit for 5 mins until all pearls are translucent.
- Stir through marinated jackfruit and spoon into 8–10 serving glasses.
- Chill for at least 3 hours, then serve.
Discover organic at our Wellbeing Directory
Like what you read?
Sign up for a weekly dose of wellness
Pulled Jackfruit Sliders with Coleslaw and Chipotle Mayonnaise Recipe
Jackfruit is health and delicious. It's chewy, meaty, texture offers so many more healthy benefits for you and the planet.
Jackfruit and Pumpkin Curry with Spinach Recipe
This healthy jackfruit curry is sweet and delicious and full of amazing nutrition. Jackfruit is so versatile and holds its...
Green Jackfruit Curry Recipe
Jackfruit makes a good vegetarian meat substitute in curries as it has a meat-like texture when cooked. Try it out...