Lamb Shanks, Bacon and Lentil Pot Recipe
This delicious slow-cooked Lamb Shanks, Bacon and Lentil Pot recipe is so nourishing and easy to prepare. You don’t really need a whole shank per person here. I’m all for spending extra money on quality meat, buying less of it (so it’s still affordable) and bulking it out with other good stuff (like vegies and lentils). Not only is this approach kinder to your pocket and the environment but it’s also a healthier way to eat.
- 2–3 lamb shanks, depending on appetite & size of shanks
- 2 onions, diced
- 1–2 large cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tin brown lentils, drained & rinsed, or 1 cup cooked brown lentils
- 3–4 carrots, roughly diced
- 3–4 rashers free-range or organic nitrate-free bacon (short cut), roughly diced
- 2 cups sliced Swiss brown or button mushrooms
- 2–3 stems celery, diced
- 1 cup chicken or lamb stock or broth
- ¼ cup red wine
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary (or 1 tbsp dried)
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Handful finely chopped parsley, to serve
- 1 zucchini, eggplant or parsnip, diced (optional)
- Mashed potato, steamed vegies, salad or cooked brown rice, to serve
- Preheat oven to 150°C.
- Place lamb shanks in large ovenproof dish (with lid).
- Add all ingredients (except parsley) and stir to combine. Make sure lamb shanks are toward bottom of dish and covered with liquid and other ingredients.
- Place lid on pot and place in oven to cook for 3 hours.
- Sprinkle with finely chopped parsley (a good way to hide this very nutritious green) and serve with either mashed potato, steamed vegies, a green salad or cooked brown rice.
A Q&A with Emily Macgregor, naturopath for Henry Blooms
Emily Macgregor is a naturopath for Henry Blooms and here she shares with us the natural health food company’s humble...
Mauritian Chicken Fricassee Recipe
This Mauritian fricassee is mild, not spicy, and still totally delicious! Try our Mauritian Chicken Fricassee recipe today.
Baked Brown Rice Mushroom Risotto Recipe
Did you know mushrooms are a great source of potassium, which is an important mineral for helping lower blood pressure...
Toasted Greens, Pomegranate and Cauliflower Rice Salad Recipe
This Middle Eastern-inspired salad is a healthy take on the classic tabouleh. Try our Toasted green, pomegranate and cauliflower...