Lime Crème Brûlée Recipe
The French occupation of Vietnam certainly influenced their cuisine. “Bánh flan” or crème caramel brulee is a dessert served often and this is my dairy-free, low-sugar version with a lime twist. It’s really simple to create and great to make ahead when entertaining.
- 400g can full-fat coconut milk (choose a very creamy brand)
- 2 tbsp rice-malt syrup or maple syrup
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, bruised
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 5 large free-range or organic egg yolks
- 4 tsp coconut sugar or rapadura
- Fresh raspberries & mint leaves, to serve (optional)
- In small pot, heat coconut milk, rice-malt syrup or maple syrup and kaffir lime leaves over low heat to very slow simmer for 5 mins (take care not to boil).
- Take off heat and allow to cool for another 5 mins or until you can comfortably place your finger in the liquid.
- Remove kaffir leaves. Add lime juice and mix well.
- In large jug, beat egg yolks. Slowly pour warm coconut lime milk into yolks, beating as you pour. It’s really important that the milk mixture isn’t too hot and that you add it gradually (so mixture doesn’t curdle).
- Divide into 4 ramekins and place on baking tray in oven. Slide rack out and pour boiling water into baking tray (to approx. halfway up ramekins), taking care not to get any water in ramekins.
- Bake for 35–40 mins or until brûlée is set in middle. Allow to cool, remove from baking tray, cover and chill in fridge until ready to serve.
- To serve, sprinkle each ramekin with tsp of coconut sugar and place under hot grill, watching carefully so sugar caramelises (but doesn’t burn).
- Garnish with raspberries and fresh mint and serve immediately.
Quick Vegetarian Nachos Recipe
I love this meal for a midweek quickie when I have no protein to work with. I try to always...
Indian-Spiced Mince with Peas Recipe
Dinner doesn’t get any more budget friendly, easier or tastier than this Indian Spiced Mince with Peas. It’s one of...
Japanese Vegetable Pancake Recipe
This dish has been inspired by the traditional Japanese dish okonomiyaki. Traditionally, it’s made with sliced cabbage but I’ve altered...
Roast Cauliflower Chicken Bake Recipe
This is such an easy dish to feed the whole family. Top this Roast Cauliflower Chicken Bake with the Tahini...