Maple Chai Apple Pie Recipe
This pie contains a really lovely combination of flavours. The tartness of the apple combined with the beautifully balanced aromatic spices and buttery pastry is heavenly.
- Spelt Shortcrust Pastry
- 300g wholemeal spelt flour
- Pinch sea salt
- 3 tbsp rapadura or coconut sugar
- 120g butter, chilled & diced
- 1 egg yolk (optional)
- 1–2 tbsp chilled water
- 1–1½kg Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored & sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp arrowroot
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ground
- 1 tsp cardamom, ground
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- ½ tsp ginger, ground
- ¼ tsp cloves, ground
- In food processor, mix flour, sea salt and sugar until combined.
- Add butter and process until it comes together in coarse crumb (you can also do this by hand by rubbing butter into flour mix).
- Add egg yolk and process until dough starts to combine. If it’s still a little dry, add water 1 tbsp at a time. If not using egg yolk, you’ll just need extra water.
- As all whole flours are slightly different in their consistency/texture, you will need to judge how much water is needed for all types of pastry. The consistency you’re after is where dough easily comes together in firm, slightly sticky ball (but doesn’t stick to hands or bowl). If your kitchen is hot, you’ll need to work quickly to roll and assemble pie.
- Roll ¾ of dough into one ball and other ¼ into another and wrap in parchment (baking) paper. Rest in fridge for at least 30 mins or until needed.
- In large bowl, mix together maple syrup, arrowroot and spices. Add apples and toss really well so they are evenly coated.
- Preheat oven to 200°C and grease pie pan.
- Roll out larger ball of dough between two pieces of baking paper into circle to fit pie pan, making sure there are no holes on base. Trim edges and add any extra pastry to smaller ball.
- Place this in fridge while you roll and cut pastry.
- Roll out extra dough and cut into shapes. Arrange them to cover fruit.
- Bake for 15 mins then lower temperature to 170°C for 40 mins. If pastry seems to be browning too fast, cover it with baking paper.
- To cut pie into neat crumb-free portions, you’ll need to chill it, cut and then reheat to serve.
Chickpea Vegetable Tagine Recipe
Science confirms that diets containing a diverse range of vegetables produce healthier gut bacteria. So while eating vegetables is important,...
Split Pea, Smoked Tofu and Barley Soup Recipe
When I was a kid, my mum made the best pea and ham soup. Now that I’m vegan I’ve created...
Vegie Balls & Wholemeal Penne in Tomato Sauce with Pesto Recipe
This is my plant-based version of the classic Italian pasta and meatballs. You can make super-good balls from vegies and...
Slow-Cooked Lamb and Pomegranate Salad Recipe
Lamb is a good sources of vitamin B12 which plays a vital role in healthy nervous system and brain function....