Pulled Jackfruit San Choy Bau Recipe
Jackfruit is most famous for being vegan pulled “pork” in BBQ sauce, but I thought I’d use the pulled idea and take the sauce flavours in another direction. The texture is absolutely perfect with the Oriental mushrooms, as the jackfruit has a similar mouth feel and soaks up the sauce, too, like mushrooms do. Make this more substantial by serving with rice noodles in the lettuce cups if you like.
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 5cm piece ginger, peeled & grated
- 565g tin young green jackfruit in water or brine (not syrup), drained & coarsely chopped
- 100g enoki mushrooms, pulled apart & cut in half
- 4 fresh shiitake mushrooms, diced
- 3 tbsp kecap manis
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ¼ tsp white ground pepper
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1 chilli, diced
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 carrot, peeled & grated
- Lettuce leaves & lime wedges, to serve
- Add oil and onion to saucepan with lid and cook over medium heat until translucent. Add garlic and ginger and cook for 1 min more. Add chopped jackfruit, enoki and shiitake mushrooms and ¼ cup water and cover with lid for 3 mins to steam and soften fruit.
- Remove the lid and use 2 forks to pull pieces of jackfruit apart into strips. Increase heat to high and cook until all liquid has evaporated. Take off heat.
- Stir in kecap manis, oyster sauce, sesame oil and white pepper until well combined.
- Serve in lettuce cups topped with spring onion and chilli, with beansprouts, carrot and lime wedges on the side so guests can help themselves.
Quorn™ Foods shares 2 delicious, meat-free recipes
Quorn™ Foods is a global market leader in healthy, sustainable protein. Here, they share 2 delicious recipes.
Broccoli Rabe, Macadamia & Chilli Spaghetti
This simple vegetarian pasta is quick and easy to make and a really tasty, healthy meals that’s perfect for the...
Indonesian-Inspired Banana Omelette for Two
This Indonesian-inspired banana omelette can be made as a sweet or savoury dish. Plus, it's so tasty, we bet you'll...
Vegetarian cashew and zucchini Indonesian noodles
What works as a stand-alone vegetarian dish, goes well with tofu, and can even proudly accompany a chicken or fish...