Pulled Jackfruit San Choy Bau Recipe
Jackfruit is most famous for being vegan pulled “pork” in BBQ sauce, but I thought I’d use the pulled idea and take the sauce flavours in another direction. The texture is absolutely perfect with the Oriental mushrooms, as the jackfruit has a similar mouth feel and soaks up the sauce, too, like mushrooms do. Make this more substantial by serving with rice noodles in the lettuce cups if you like.
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 5cm piece ginger, peeled & grated
- 565g tin young green jackfruit in water or brine (not syrup), drained & coarsely chopped
- 100g enoki mushrooms, pulled apart & cut in half
- 4 fresh shiitake mushrooms, diced
- 3 tbsp kecap manis
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ¼ tsp white ground pepper
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1 chilli, diced
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 carrot, peeled & grated
- Lettuce leaves & lime wedges, to serve
- Add oil and onion to saucepan with lid and cook over medium heat until translucent. Add garlic and ginger and cook for 1 min more. Add chopped jackfruit, enoki and shiitake mushrooms and ¼ cup water and cover with lid for 3 mins to steam and soften fruit.
- Remove the lid and use 2 forks to pull pieces of jackfruit apart into strips. Increase heat to high and cook until all liquid has evaporated. Take off heat.
- Stir in kecap manis, oyster sauce, sesame oil and white pepper until well combined.
- Serve in lettuce cups topped with spring onion and chilli, with beansprouts, carrot and lime wedges on the side so guests can help themselves.
3 dinner party recipes for cheese lovers
Cheese lovers, look no further! These recipes, made with That's Amore Cheese's decadent burrata, are the ultimate dinner & dessert...
4 protein-packed treats to boost your energy
Herbalife Nutrition’s energy food shakes provide a balanced source of healthy nutrition packed with vitamins and minerals, protein and fibre.
Creamy Cauliflower Soup Recipe
This creamy, lush cauliflower soup is the ultimate warming, soul food. It's perfect for vegetarian dinners and gluten-free too!
Wholesome Brunch Rice Bowl Recipe
Simply combine your brown rice leftovers with simple vegetables and a little kick of caramelised onion and thyme to make...