Pumpkin and Chickpea Pasties Recipe
Pumpkin pasties are my ultimate comfort food but my pet peeve is too much pastry to not enough filling! The beauty of these is they use filo pastry, so you have a lovely, thin, flaky casing holding a generous and delicious filling. Mildly spiced, they are suitable for the whole family and are packed with fibre and protein. In my opinion, these pasties are the best kind of comfort food.
Makes: 5 small pasties
- 750g pumpkin, chopped into 3cm chunks
- Olive oil
- 1 tbsp ghee
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 400g tin chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- 50g ricotta
- 30g spinach
- ¼ tsp sea salt, or to taste
- 1 packet filo pastry (you will need 9 defrosted sheets)
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Place pumpkin on baking tray, drizzle with a little oil and bake for around 20 mins, until you can easily stick a fork into a piece.
- Meanwhile, melt ghee in small saucepan, add garam masala and cook for 30 secs until fragrant.
- Add chickpeas, stir until well coated and turn off heat.
- Once pumpkin is cooked, transfer to bowl and mash.Add all other ingredients and combine well. Taste and add a little salt if needed.
- Add chickpea mix, leaving small amount of ghee in bottom of saucepan to use to brush top of pasties.
- Add all other ingredients and combine well. Taste and add a little salt if needed.
- Take 3 sheets of filo pastry and lay out flat. Run knife down middle to slice sheets in half, so you now have 2 squares.
- Add around ½ cup mixture to centre of each square of pastry and roughly shape into rectangle (or triangle or any shape you like!).
- With some water in a cup nearby, fold parcel as you would a present, dipping your fingers in water and brushing on pastry as glue.
- Transfer to lined baking tray and repeat with remaining pastry.
- Brush top of each pastie with remaining ghee and sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.
- Reduce oven temperature to 180°C and bake for 35–45 mins, or until golden.
Parmesan-Roasted Okra with Corn Recipe
Okra has been used traditionally as a food and medicine for hundreds of years in South America, Africa and the...
Okra, Haloumi & Bulgur Salad Recipe
The combination of pan-fried okra, haloumi, pomegranate and fresh herbs makes this salad a simple weekday dish. Okra often has...
Okra with Kefir Lime, Coconut Rice and Sambal Recipe
I absolutely love the combination of the okra with this incredible rice! This is a very simple method of cooking...
Okra Panzanella Recipe
I love adding olives and roasted capsicum to this traditional Tuscan-inspired recipe. The addition of pan-fried okra and lemon gives...