Pumpkin and Chickpea Pasties Recipe
Pumpkin pasties are my ultimate comfort food but my pet peeve is too much pastry to not enough filling! The beauty of these is they use filo pastry, so you have a lovely, thin, flaky casing holding a generous and delicious filling. Mildly spiced, they are suitable for the whole family and are packed with fibre and protein. In my opinion, these pasties are the best kind of comfort food.
Makes: 5 small pasties
- 750g pumpkin, chopped into 3cm chunks
- Olive oil
- 1 tbsp ghee
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 400g tin chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- 50g ricotta
- 30g spinach
- ¼ tsp sea salt, or to taste
- 1 packet filo pastry (you will need 9 defrosted sheets)
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Place pumpkin on baking tray, drizzle with a little oil and bake for around 20 mins, until you can easily stick a fork into a piece.
- Meanwhile, melt ghee in small saucepan, add garam masala and cook for 30 secs until fragrant.
- Add chickpeas, stir until well coated and turn off heat.
- Once pumpkin is cooked, transfer to bowl and mash.Add all other ingredients and combine well. Taste and add a little salt if needed.
- Add chickpea mix, leaving small amount of ghee in bottom of saucepan to use to brush top of pasties.
- Add all other ingredients and combine well. Taste and add a little salt if needed.
- Take 3 sheets of filo pastry and lay out flat. Run knife down middle to slice sheets in half, so you now have 2 squares.
- Add around ½ cup mixture to centre of each square of pastry and roughly shape into rectangle (or triangle or any shape you like!).
- With some water in a cup nearby, fold parcel as you would a present, dipping your fingers in water and brushing on pastry as glue.
- Transfer to lined baking tray and repeat with remaining pastry.
- Brush top of each pastie with remaining ghee and sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.
- Reduce oven temperature to 180°C and bake for 35–45 mins, or until golden.
Discover organic at our Wellbeing Directory
Like what you read?
Sign up for a weekly dose of wellness
Gluten-free Delicious Lemon Cakes Recipe
A long lazy lunch is not complete without something sweet to finish. These lemon cakes are very simple to make,...
Ploughman’s Board Recipe
Homemade seeded crackers are perfect for a ploughman’s board. Feel free to pick a selection of cheeses and add some...
Vegetarian Mushrooms and Lentil Bolognese Pasta Cake Recipe
The combination of finely chopped mushrooms and nutty lentils give a real beef mince-like texture and appearance. Try this healthy...