Roast Pumpkin and Kale Tart Recipe
You don’t need to consume meat in order to help your iron levels. Per calorie, studies suggest that kale has more iron than beef, so for those meat-free meals, using ingredients like kale is a great way to help boost your iron levels (which in most cases is essential for good health, especially for women). The nuttiness from the roasted butternut combined with the kale and tomato is a match made in heaven!
- Roasted Veg
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ butternut pumpkin, roughly sliced lengthways
- 1 brown onion, roughly chopped
- 6 whole cloves garlic
- Salt & pepper
- 3–4 free-range eggs
- 150mL-200mL almond milk
- ¼ bunch parsley, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup parmesan, grated (optional)
- ¼ bunch kale, finely sliced
- Salt & pepper
- 6–10 cherry tomatoes, sliced (or 1 large)
- Defrosted frozen puff pastry (gluten-free pastry if required)
- Preheat oven to 220°C degrees fan-forced.
- In a baking dish, splash in some olive oil, pumpkin, onion and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 15 mins or until the vegies are just cooked. Once cooked, press down with a fork onto the roasted garlic and mash in with the onion. Set aside to cool.
- Either grease or line with baking paper a quiche or tart tin. Roll the pastry over the tin and press down into the nooks and crannies. To blind-bake the pastry, cover the pastry with baking paper and weigh it down with dried beans or rice. Bake for 10–15 mins, then remove the rice or beans and baking paper. Then return to oven for 7–10 mins.
- Whisk eggs, almond milk, parsley, parmesan, kale, salt and pepper together in a large bowl. Transfer onion and garlic to the bowl and whisk again.
- Pour egg mixture into partially cooked pastry dish, then place pumpkin and sliced tomato on top.
- Bake in oven for 20–25 mins or until nice and golden on top and cooked all the way through.
Broccoli Rabe, Macadamia & Chilli Spaghetti
This simple vegetarian pasta is quick and easy to make and a really tasty, healthy meals that’s perfect for the...
Indonesian-Inspired Banana Omelette for Two
This Indonesian-inspired banana omelette can be made as a sweet or savoury dish. Plus, it's so tasty, we bet you'll...
Vegetarian cashew and zucchini Indonesian noodles
What works as a stand-alone vegetarian dish, goes well with tofu, and can even proudly accompany a chicken or fish...
Thai mango salad
This summery Thai mango salad ticks all the boxes for a fresh and healthy meal