Roasted fig, walnut and goat’s cheese salad
I believe deep down that goat’s cheese and beetroot were made for one another. Their romance is proof that opposites attract, and that two entirely different souls can be a match made in heaven. Here, the bright pink, sweet, earthy flavours of beetroot mingle with the rich, creamy tartness of goat’s cheese. I highly recommend investing in a quality goat’s cheese. It’ll be a little extra on your food bill, but it’s a decadent treat like no other, and there’s no better time to celebrate food than at Christmas.
- 3 small beetroot, peeled & thickly sliced
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 6 ripe figs, halved crossways
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- Apple-cider vinegar, for drizzling
- 100g walnuts
- 200g spinach, plus extra to serve (optional)
- 100g goat’s cheese
- Juice ½ lemon
- 2 thyme sprigs
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Micro herbs, to serve (optional)
- 1 orange, sliced & roasted, to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Toss beetroot in roasting tray with drizzle of olive oil. Roast for 25 mins, or until just softened. Remove tray, lay fig halves, cut side up, around beetroot, then sprinkle with cinnamon and drizzle over some more olive oil and apple-cider vinegar. Roast for 5 mins, then add walnuts and cook for a further 5 mins, or until figs are golden, plump and slightly softened.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Put spinach on platter or in salad bowl, add figs and walnuts, and crumble over goat’s cheese. Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice. Top with thyme, a grind or two of black pepper, and some micro herbs, extra spinach and roasted orange slices, if using.
How to waste less this silly season
Waste less and give the gift of eco-awareness this silly season with our expert tips.
8 tips to a supercharged Christmas menu
Supercharge your Christmas with these eight tips to an eco-friendly celebration.
Lemon and cranberry green beans
At Christmastime I love to cook dishes that are full of Christmas colours; this dish is the perfect example.
Roast sweet potato, cranberry and feta quinoa salad
This is the perfect salad to prepare the day before Christmas.