Slow-Cooked Paprika Pulled Pork & Kaleslaw Sandwiches Recipe
If you’re eating lunch at home or you have access to a sandwich press or grill, place this deliciously tender pulled pork sandwich in the appliance and heat all the way through, adding fresh avocado after its been heated.
- Pulled Pork
- 1 large free-range pork shoulder off the bone
- 1½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 250mL apple-cider vinegar
- Dry rub
- 2 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 1 dried chilli or 2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 3 tbsp rice malt syrup
- Apple kaleslaw
- 4 cups thinly sliced Tuscan kale
2 apples (red or green), sliced into very thin wedges
½ cabbage, thinly sliced
1 red capsicum, seeds removed, thinly sliced
1 small carrot, grated
Parsley, to serve
- Creamy Sesame Dressing
- ¾ cup raw cashews
¼ cup sesame seeds
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
2½ tbsp apple-cider vinegar
¼ tsp sea salt
2 tbsp sugar-free mustard
- 16 thin slices bread of choice
Sea salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat. Oven to 220°C. Remove skin from pork by running a knife underneath and set aside rind for crackling.
- In a mortar and pestle, pound dry rub ingredients apart from rice malt syrup to release flavours. Place dry rub ingredients together in a bowl, add rice malt syrup and combine.
- Sprinkle pork with salt, then add olive oil and place in flame-proof casserole dish over a high heat to brown off both sides.
- Remove from heat and let cool, then work dry rub into the pork, ensuring you are pushing it into all the creases.
- Drain excess fat from pan and pour apple-cider vinegar over the top. Place pan in oven for 20 mins then reduce heat to 140°C and roast for 4 hours until pork is tender and can be pulled apart easily. Top up with apple-cider vinegar periodically if needed.
- Remove from oven and using two forks, pull pork apart to shred it.
- While the pork is cooking, make the kaleslaw. Place all the creamy dressing ingredients in a food processor with a generous splash of filtered water and blend until smooth.
- Place the slaw ingredients in a bowl, stir through the dressing and serve.
- To make sandwiches, lay 8 pieces of loaf on your bench top and spread ¼ of the avocado across each.
- Add pork and kaleslaw evenly across each piece, season with salt and pepper and cover with second loaf piece.
Ultimate Ham & Cheese Toastie Recipe
This flavoursome crowd-pleaser puts your Christmas leftovers to use in the tastiest and easiest way possible — a gourmet toastie!
Snow Pea & Prawn Salad
This beautiful salad is light yet satisfying and is perfect to whip together when cooking for just one.
Mighty Meatballs Recipe
These little meatballs are delicious as is or served in lettuce cups or wraps. The mix of protein and a...