Tempeh Cornish Pastie Recipe
Cornish pasties are one of my favourite comfort foods, but it’s hard to find a good one these days. Making your own, although more effort, gives you control over the ingredients and flavours. This recipe outlines a good, traditional base to start with, but feel free to change the filling as you see fit.
Makes: 6 pasties, depending on size
- 200g spelt four
- Scant ½ tsp instant dried yeast
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 75–80mL tepid water
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 100g marinated tempeh, chopped into 1cm cubes
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 small potatoes, chopped into 1cm cubes
- 1 small onion, peeled & diced
- 2–3 tbsp tomato puree or leftover pasta sauce
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Place flour and yeast in bowl and mix together.
- Add oil, stir to combine then add water and salt, mixing until mixture comes together.
- Transfer to lightly floured surface and knead for approx. 10 mins until smooth and elastic. You could also use electric mixer with dough hook if you have one.
- Transfer to large, clean bowl, cover with damp cloth and place in warm spot for about 2 hours, or until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, combine filling ingredients in another bowl.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Transfer dough to lightly floured surface and split into 4–6 small, rough balls.
- Roll out first ball to 1-2mm thickness and spoon some of filling onto half of pastry, leaving some space around edge for sealing.
- Fold pastry over filling and pinch sides together around edge, making sure to create a good seal.
- Transfer to lined baking tray and make 1–2 small slits with sharp knife in pastry to allow steam to escape.
- Repeat with remaining pastry and filling (you may need 2 trays), then place in oven and bake for 30–40 mins, or until pastry is golden.
Mauritian Lentil Soup
This Mauritian-inspired red lentil soup is the ultimate comfort food. Easy to whip together, it’s warming to the body, with...
Oven-Baked Vegie Fritters
These tasty vegie fritters are loaded with dietary fibre for good bowel health, beta-carotene for healthy vision and complex carbohydrates...
Give sugar the flick with this honey-sweetened lemon tart: you’ll never look back. If you are a real honey fan...
English Baked Beans on Toast
Tinned baked beans are full of sugar and salt. Once you’ve tried this recipe, you won’t buy tinned beans ever...