Tempeh Cornish Pastie Recipe
Cornish pasties are one of my favourite comfort foods, but it’s hard to find a good one these days. Making your own, although more effort, gives you control over the ingredients and flavours. This recipe outlines a good, traditional base to start with, but feel free to change the filling as you see fit.
Makes: 6 pasties, depending on size
- 200g spelt four
- Scant ½ tsp instant dried yeast
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 75–80mL tepid water
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 100g marinated tempeh, chopped into 1cm cubes
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 small potatoes, chopped into 1cm cubes
- 1 small onion, peeled & diced
- 2–3 tbsp tomato puree or leftover pasta sauce
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Place flour and yeast in bowl and mix together.
- Add oil, stir to combine then add water and salt, mixing until mixture comes together.
- Transfer to lightly floured surface and knead for approx. 10 mins until smooth and elastic. You could also use electric mixer with dough hook if you have one.
- Transfer to large, clean bowl, cover with damp cloth and place in warm spot for about 2 hours, or until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, combine filling ingredients in another bowl.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Transfer dough to lightly floured surface and split into 4–6 small, rough balls.
- Roll out first ball to 1-2mm thickness and spoon some of filling onto half of pastry, leaving some space around edge for sealing.
- Fold pastry over filling and pinch sides together around edge, making sure to create a good seal.
- Transfer to lined baking tray and make 1–2 small slits with sharp knife in pastry to allow steam to escape.
- Repeat with remaining pastry and filling (you may need 2 trays), then place in oven and bake for 30–40 mins, or until pastry is golden.
Beetroot and Feta Croquette Appetiser Recipe
These simple beetroot and feta croquettes offer an easy, delicious and colourful appetiser to add to your entertaining menu.
Lemon Risotto Croquettes with Pesto Recipe
These delicious gluten-free croquettes are perfect served as an appetiser or as a vegetarian meal topped with marinara sauce, parmesan...
Coconut & Hemp Crumbed Brussels Sprouts Recipe
Pumped with plant protein and essential fats, these gluten-free crumbed Brussels sprouts are the ultimate vegan snack, side or lunch!
Mushroom & Pea Brown Rice Risotto Recipe
Looking for a wholesome dinner option? Try this plant-based brown rice risotto, full of fresh veggies and flavours for a...