This is hands down one of my favourite salads. I often make one up on the weekend and portion it for lunches for the week. Add your protein of choice and enjoy the delicious nutty flavour of freekeh along with the pops of sweet and sour from the currants and lemon. You can easily serve this salad warm or cold, so it’s super versatile.
- 1 cup freekeh
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups water
- ½ cup currants
- Zest 1 lemon
- ½ cup finely chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp toasted almond slivers
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Place the freekeh, water and salt in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Cover and reduce the heat, allowing to simmer for 40 mins until the water has absorbed.
- Allow the freekeh to cool before tipping it into a large bowl.
- Add the currants, lemon zest, parsley and toasted almonds and toss to combine. Add the olive oil and lemon juice and mix until the salad is well coated.
- Note: You can easily mix and match your favourite additions to this salad.