Apple and Cinnamon Picnic Cake Recipe
You can use this apple and cinnamon base recipe to create any sort of cake. For example, add grated carrot or cacao powder.
- 2 tsp ground flax seeds
- 1 cup fresh medjool dates, pitted & chopped
- 1 cup hot water
- 3 large ripe bananas, peeled
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2½ cups rolled oats, blended to flour
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 170°C fan-forced. Line base of round spring-form cake tin with greaseproof baking paper.
- Place ground flax seeds in cup and add water to cover, combine well and leave to thicken.
- Place dates and hot water in small bowl and let stand for 10 mins to soften dates.
- Place bananas, soaked dates, maple syrup and flax seeds in water into blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- In large bowl, place oat flour, bicarb soda, cinnamon and nutmeg and remaining chopped dates. Mix well, then add banana blend and mix well with fork. Pour into prepared cake tin and decorate with sliced banana and slivers of fresh medjool dates.
- Bake for about 50 mins or until cooked through and starting to brown on top. Place on cooling rack and serve.
The secret healing power of pineapple
We all know pineapple is deliciously sweet - but did you know about its secret healing power? Read on to...
Why avocados are good for your health
Avocadoes are not only delicious but also a source of healing fats and nutrients.
Do you love avocado? Dr Karen Bridgman shares the health benefits of the fruit
Who doesn't love smashed avocado atop their toast on the weekend? Avocadoes are not only delicious but also a source...
We take a look at Cardamom, "the queen of spices" and its health benefits
Known as the “queen of spices”, the active ingredients in cardamom exhibit a variety of metabolic activities including reducing spasms...