Apple and Cinnamon Picnic Cake Recipe
You can use this apple and cinnamon base recipe to create any sort of cake. For example, add grated carrot or cacao powder.
- 2 tsp ground flax seeds
- 1 cup fresh medjool dates, pitted & chopped
- 1 cup hot water
- 3 large ripe bananas, peeled
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2½ cups rolled oats, blended to flour
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 170°C fan-forced. Line base of round spring-form cake tin with greaseproof baking paper.
- Place ground flax seeds in cup and add water to cover, combine well and leave to thicken.
- Place dates and hot water in small bowl and let stand for 10 mins to soften dates.
- Place bananas, soaked dates, maple syrup and flax seeds in water into blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- In large bowl, place oat flour, bicarb soda, cinnamon and nutmeg and remaining chopped dates. Mix well, then add banana blend and mix well with fork. Pour into prepared cake tin and decorate with sliced banana and slivers of fresh medjool dates.
- Bake for about 50 mins or until cooked through and starting to brown on top. Place on cooling rack and serve.
Are you ready to join the coconut craze?
You see them everywhere — cracked open and ready to drink at fresh food markets and cold-pressed into jars at...
Tahini Cumin Dressing Recipe
This is my Middle-Eastern-inspired dressing which I use on anything from salads to roasted vegetables; it’s especially good on roasted...
An in-depth look at leafy greens and their health benefits
You’ve heard about the superfood powers of chia and blueberries but, lurking in the vegetable aisle of the supermarket and...
Cranberry and Oat Cookies Recipe
Cranberries are rich in protective antioxidants, vitamin A and K — all-important nutrients needed to promote healthy eyes and good...