Apple and Cinnamon Picnic Cake Recipe
You can use this apple and cinnamon base recipe to create any sort of cake. For example, add grated carrot or cacao powder.
- 2 tsp ground flax seeds
- 1 cup fresh medjool dates, pitted & chopped
- 1 cup hot water
- 3 large ripe bananas, peeled
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2½ cups rolled oats, blended to flour
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 170°C fan-forced. Line base of round spring-form cake tin with greaseproof baking paper.
- Place ground flax seeds in cup and add water to cover, combine well and leave to thicken.
- Place dates and hot water in small bowl and let stand for 10 mins to soften dates.
- Place bananas, soaked dates, maple syrup and flax seeds in water into blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- In large bowl, place oat flour, bicarb soda, cinnamon and nutmeg and remaining chopped dates. Mix well, then add banana blend and mix well with fork. Pour into prepared cake tin and decorate with sliced banana and slivers of fresh medjool dates.
- Bake for about 50 mins or until cooked through and starting to brown on top. Place on cooling rack and serve.
13 antioxidant foods and how to enjoy them
Antioxidants defend against cell-damaging free radicals, which increase your risk of disease and premature ageing. Including a variety of antioxidant-rich...
Which dairy is the better choice: full or reduced fat?
It’s easy to get hung up on fat content when it comes to dairy products, especially if you’re watching your...
Oven-Baked Pumpkin and Corn Brown Rice Risotto Recipe
This hearty risotto is a great source of dietary fibre. Brown rice contains around seven times more fibre than white...
Tahini Lentil Burger Recipe
These burger patties are soft inside and crispy on the outside. Make yourself a double batch and freeze some so...