Apple and Fennel Soup Recipe
With this soup, there’s no such thing as pot luck. The aniseed flavour of the fennel and the apple combine perfectly on cool nights to cosy up your insides.
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, peeled & diced
- 2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 small fennel bulbs, with fronds
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1L good-quality chicken, vegetable or bone broth
- 4 Granny Smith or seasonal apples, peeled & chopped
- Juice 1 lemon
- Coconut yoghurt, to serve
- Heat olive oil in large stockpot or saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onion, celery and garlic for 3–4 mins, or until softened.
- Meanwhile, remove fronds from fennel and reserve for garnishing.
- Dice fennel bulbs and set aside.
- Add mustard to pan, stirring well. Stir in stock, fennel and apple.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat to simmer.
- Cover and cook for 30–35 mins, or until fennel is tender.
- Leave to cool slightly, then purée soup in food processor or with hand-held stick blender. Whisk in lemon juice, then season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Gently reheat soup, if needed.
- Ladle into bowls, add swirl of coconut yoghurt, garnish with reserved fennel fronds and serve.
Discover organic at our Wellbeing Directory
Like what you read?
Sign up for a weekly dose of wellness
Grilled Eggplant with Spiced Tomato and Yoghurt Recipe
This Grilled Eggplant with Spiced Tomato and Yoghurt is a very simple dish that works beautifully on its own, as...
Fishcakes with Avocado and Yoghurt Sauce Recipe
Choose a mild white fish for a milder flavour, something like mackerel for a stronger flavour or even a combination...
Turkish Eggs with Cauliflower, Sumac and Lemon Yoghurt Recipe
These Turkish Eggs with Cauliflower, Sumac and Lemon Yoghurt make a wonderfully sustaining meal full of protein, healthy fats and...
Oven-Baked Pea Falafels with Yoghurt and Tahini Sauce Recipe
These gluten-free and delicious Oven-Baked Pea Falafels are a healthy alternative to traditional deep-fried varieties. The kids will love them!