Apple Tart (Appeltaart) Recipes
A traditional Dutch apple tart, or appeltaart as they say in Holland, is absolutely delicious and surprisingly easy to make. The pastry is thicker than any other pastry shell, which means the finished tart is crunchy on the outside but soft and cake-like on the inside.
- Pie Crust
- 75g tapioca flour
- 150g buckwheat flour
- 150g brown-rice flour
- 75g blanched almond meal
- 150g coconut palm sugar
- Pinch sea salt
- Zest 1 lemon
- 180g butter, cut into cubes
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 5 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored & quartered
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 40g coconut palm sugar
- 20g tapioca flour
- 3 tbsp blanched almond meal
- Preheat oven to 180°C and grease and line 20cm cake tin.
- Prepare pie crust first: Add tapioca flour, buckwheat flour, brown-rice flour, almond meal, coconut palm sugar, sea salt and lemon zest to bowl. Mix until combined. Add cubes of butter and rub butter into flour mixture with fingertips.
- In separate bowl, add 2 eggs and beat them. Add 1½ eggs to flour and butter crumb mixture and save remaining egg. Mix together well until dough forms, cover and place in fridge to firm up.
- Slice each apple quarter into 3 slices. You should end up with 800g of peeled and sliced apples. Add apples to large mixing bowl along with cinnamon, coconut palm sugar and tapioca flour. Mix until apples are well coated and set aside.
- Remove pastry dough from fridge, remove ¼ of dough and set aside. Dust surface with flour and roll out remaining dough until it’s 1½cm thick. Carefully transfer dough to cake tin and press into base and up around sides. Don’t worry if dough breaks; just press it back into place. Make sure dough lining cake tin is approx. 1cm thick in base and around sides.
- Sprinkle almond meal across base of pastry. Place all of sliced apples into pastry shell. Mixture should reach right to top of cake tin.
- Take reserved ¼ pastry dough, dust surface with flour again and roll out dough until 1cm thick. Transfer dough to top of apple filling and pastry shell. Using fingertips, pinch edges together. Brush top with remaining egg wash.
- Bake in oven for 1¼ hours. Check pastry after 45 mins; if it’s browning too quickly, cover with tin foil.
- Remove tart from oven and allow to cool completely in tin. Place in fridge and allow to cool further before serving — this allows mixture inside tart to settle.
Indonesian-Inspired Banana Omelette for Two
This Indonesian-inspired banana omelette can be made as a sweet or savoury dish. Plus, it's so tasty, we bet you'll...
Berry and apple jellies
Fun to make and delicious to eat - these berry and apple jellies sure are a treat
No refined sugars and loads of fruit make this vegan tropical iceblock recipe a real winner
Cherry and almond sorbet
This simple cherry and almond sorbet recipe doesn’t require an ice-cream machine, and it's vegan-friendly too. What are you waiting...