Asian Noodle Soup Recipe
This soup is a very nutritious and nourishing meal. It’s one of my go-to recipes if anyone in the family is run-down or we feel the need to reset. The bone broth is a healing digestive tonic, the coconut water a mineral-dense rehydrator, plus protein and stacks of vegetables … what more could you ask for from a meal?
- 230g (approx.) red or brown rice noodles
- 500mL homemade chicken bone broth or stock
- 3cm piece ginger root, peeled & finely sliced
- 1–2 large cloves garlic, peeled & finely sliced
- 1 red onion, peeled, halved & finely sliced
- 1 kaffir lime leaf (optional but recommended)
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 500g free-range or organic chicken thigh or breast, diced
- 2–3 cups vegetables (I use sliced carrot, broccoli florets, shiitake mushrooms, snow peas)
- Juice 1 lime (plus optional wedges to serve)
- 330mL coconut water
- Fresh red chilli or chilli flakes, to taste
- Fresh Vietnamese mint (or regular mint), coriander leaves or Thai basil, to serve (optional)
- Place noodles in bowl and cover with boiling water. Allow to soak until softened. Once soft, divide between four serving bowls.
- In medium-sizes pot, add broth, ginger, garlic, red onion, kaffir lime leaf and fish sauce and bring to slow simmer.
- Add chicken and simmer until cooked through. Remove chicken to plate and shred or slice. Divide between bowls (including any juices).
- Add your vegetables and simmer for a few mins until just starting to soften. Just before serving, add coconut water and lime juice and bring back to simmer then take off heat immediately.
- Taste and make sure it has nice balance of sweetness from coconut water, saltiness from fish sauce and sourness from lime juice. Adjust any flavours if needed.
- Divide vegetables between bowls and pour over broth.
- Garnish with chilli and fresh Asian herbs.
Healthy Seed Crackers Recipe
Looking for a snack that is nut-, dairy- or gluten-free, with an egg-free option, too? Try our delicious Healthy Seed...
Banana Berry Bliss Smoothie Bowl Recipe
Bananas are one of the best sources of vitamin B6, which is needed for a healthy nervous system. They also...
Frittata with Tomato Tops, Silverbeet Stalks and Whole Pumpkin Recipe
A wonderful way to use up vegetables and avoid food waste is by making this Frittata with Tomato Tops, Silverbeet...