Asian Noodle Soup Recipe
This soup is a very nutritious and nourishing meal. It’s one of my go-to recipes if anyone in the family is run-down or we feel the need to reset. The bone broth is a healing digestive tonic, the coconut water a mineral-dense rehydrator, plus protein and stacks of vegetables … what more could you ask for from a meal?
- 230g (approx.) red or brown rice noodles
- 500mL homemade chicken bone broth or stock
- 3cm piece ginger root, peeled & finely sliced
- 1–2 large cloves garlic, peeled & finely sliced
- 1 red onion, peeled, halved & finely sliced
- 1 kaffir lime leaf (optional but recommended)
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 500g free-range or organic chicken thigh or breast, diced
- 2–3 cups vegetables (I use sliced carrot, broccoli florets, shiitake mushrooms, snow peas)
- Juice 1 lime (plus optional wedges to serve)
- 330mL coconut water
- Fresh red chilli or chilli flakes, to taste
- Fresh Vietnamese mint (or regular mint), coriander leaves or Thai basil, to serve (optional)
- Place noodles in bowl and cover with boiling water. Allow to soak until softened. Once soft, divide between four serving bowls.
- In medium-sizes pot, add broth, ginger, garlic, red onion, kaffir lime leaf and fish sauce and bring to slow simmer.
- Add chicken and simmer until cooked through. Remove chicken to plate and shred or slice. Divide between bowls (including any juices).
- Add your vegetables and simmer for a few mins until just starting to soften. Just before serving, add coconut water and lime juice and bring back to simmer then take off heat immediately.
- Taste and make sure it has nice balance of sweetness from coconut water, saltiness from fish sauce and sourness from lime juice. Adjust any flavours if needed.
- Divide vegetables between bowls and pour over broth.
- Garnish with chilli and fresh Asian herbs.
Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe
If you’re not normally a lover of Brussels sprouts, this dish is sure to turn you into a fan! The...
Fig, Hazelnut and Goat’s Cheese Tart Recipe
This tart is the perfect bring-along if you’re invited to dinner and want to contribute a dessert with some wow...
Chicken and Thyme Pot Pies Recipe
Pies are one of my favourite ways to add comfort during the autumn and winter months. I feel a little...
Pumpkin Bread Recipe
This pumpkin bread is nutrient-rich, high in protein and fibre, free from grains and gluten and can be made dairy-free....