Asian Noodle Soup Recipe
This soup is a very nutritious and nourishing meal. It’s one of my go-to recipes if anyone in the family is run-down or we feel the need to reset. The bone broth is a healing digestive tonic, the coconut water a mineral-dense rehydrator, plus protein and stacks of vegetables … what more could you ask for from a meal?
- 230g (approx.) red or brown rice noodles
- 500mL homemade chicken bone broth or stock
- 3cm piece ginger root, peeled & finely sliced
- 1–2 large cloves garlic, peeled & finely sliced
- 1 red onion, peeled, halved & finely sliced
- 1 kaffir lime leaf (optional but recommended)
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 500g free-range or organic chicken thigh or breast, diced
- 2–3 cups vegetables (I use sliced carrot, broccoli florets, shiitake mushrooms, snow peas)
- Juice 1 lime (plus optional wedges to serve)
- 330mL coconut water
- Fresh red chilli or chilli flakes, to taste
- Fresh Vietnamese mint (or regular mint), coriander leaves or Thai basil, to serve (optional)
- Place noodles in bowl and cover with boiling water. Allow to soak until softened. Once soft, divide between four serving bowls.
- In medium-sizes pot, add broth, ginger, garlic, red onion, kaffir lime leaf and fish sauce and bring to slow simmer.
- Add chicken and simmer until cooked through. Remove chicken to plate and shred or slice. Divide between bowls (including any juices).
- Add your vegetables and simmer for a few mins until just starting to soften. Just before serving, add coconut water and lime juice and bring back to simmer then take off heat immediately.
- Taste and make sure it has nice balance of sweetness from coconut water, saltiness from fish sauce and sourness from lime juice. Adjust any flavours if needed.
- Divide vegetables between bowls and pour over broth.
- Garnish with chilli and fresh Asian herbs.
Quick Vegetarian Nachos Recipe
I love this meal for a midweek quickie when I have no protein to work with. I try to always...
Indian-Spiced Mince with Peas Recipe
Dinner doesn’t get any more budget friendly, easier or tastier than this Indian Spiced Mince with Peas. It’s one of...
Vegan Pumpkin and Zucchini 'No Pasta' Lasagna
In this recipe, I use pumpkin and zucchini for lasagna and a cashew béchamel sauce. Double the recipe and make...
Baked Sweet Potato Hash Browns Recipe
These hash browns can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, brunch, or dinner. The wholesome savoury flavours of sweet potato team...