Buckwheat Kasha Recipe
Kasha is a traditional Russian dish that can be made from any kind of grain. In this recipe, I’ve used buckwheat because I like its nutty flavour.
- 300g buckwheat groats
- 50g butter
- 6 portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 800mL water
- ½ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 4 tbsp sour cream
- Add buckwheat to large saucepan and place over medium heat. Do not add any oil or butter to saucepan; you want to toast buckwheat in dry pan. Toast buckwheat for 15 mins, stirring continuously. Pour toasted buckwheat into bowl and set aside.
- Return saucepan to heat and add butter, mushroom, onion and sea salt. Sauté for 10 mins and add toasted buckwheat and water. Bring to gentle simmer, cover and cook for 20 mins.
- Every 5 mins, stir to stop it from sticking to bottom of pan. You’ll know it’s ready when water has been absorbed and buckwheat is soft.
- Serve topped with sour cream and chopped flat-leaf parsley.
Healthy Seed Crackers Recipe
Looking for a snack that is nut-, dairy- or gluten-free, with an egg-free option, too? Try our delicious Healthy Seed...
Banana Berry Bliss Smoothie Bowl Recipe
Bananas are one of the best sources of vitamin B6, which is needed for a healthy nervous system. They also...
Frittata with Tomato Tops, Silverbeet Stalks and Whole Pumpkin Recipe
A wonderful way to use up vegetables and avoid food waste is by making this Frittata with Tomato Tops, Silverbeet...