Buy-Nothing-New Curry Recipe
This curry is fabulously frugal and the tastiest way I know to make the most of less-than-desirable looking vegie odds and ends in the fridge. Don’t be bound by my ingredients list; make this curry your own by using any limp veg hiding in the fridge. For a yummy soup, add another cup of stock, remove the cinnamon stick at the end and blend on high for a few seconds.
- 60mL coconut oil
6 cardamom pods, bruised with the back of a knife
- 1 cinnamon stick
½ tsp fennel seeds
- 1 large onion
1-inch piece ginger, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp your favourite curry powder
- 1 large red chilli or ½ tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 4 fennel fronds
- 4 celery stalks, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 12 silverbeet stalks, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup green beans
- A few beetroot leaves
200mL coconut cream
- 250mL vegetable, chicken or beef stock
- 25mL filtered water
- 125mL tomato passata
- Black sesame seeds, to garnish
- Spring onion, sliced, to garnish
- Coriander leaves, to garnish
- Cooked rice or quinoa, to serve
- Flat-bread, to serve
- Over low–medium heat, heat coconut oil with cardamom pods, cinnamon stick and fennel seeds in large saucepan then fry onion for about 20 mins, until very golden but not burnt.
- Add ginger, garlic and curry powder and cook for 1–2 mins until aromatic. Add veg and stir until well coated with spices. Add remaining ingredients and stir until everything is warmed through and vegies start to soften.
- Simmer for 15 mins.
- Top with garnishes and serve as is, or with rice, quinoa or flat bread.
Miso Broth, Brown Rice Noodles and Leafy Greens Recipe
This is one of my favourite noodle dishes. After a busy day you can have this nourishing tasty meal on...
Roast Pumpkin and Kale Tart Recipe
You don’t need to consume meat in order to help your iron levels. Per calorie, studies suggest that kale has...
Rhubarb and Apple Deconstructed Crumble Recipe
Each component of this is delicious in its own right, but combined they make a force to be reckoned with....
Blackberry and Apple Crumble Muffins Recipe
These tasty muffins are jam-packed with protective antioxidants and dietary fibre that help neutralise free radicals in the body and...