Buy-Nothing-New Curry Recipe
This curry is fabulously frugal and the tastiest way I know to make the most of less-than-desirable looking vegie odds and ends in the fridge. Don’t be bound by my ingredients list; make this curry your own by using any limp veg hiding in the fridge. For a yummy soup, add another cup of stock, remove the cinnamon stick at the end and blend on high for a few seconds.
- 60mL coconut oil
6 cardamom pods, bruised with the back of a knife
- 1 cinnamon stick
½ tsp fennel seeds
- 1 large onion
1-inch piece ginger, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp your favourite curry powder
- 1 large red chilli or ½ tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 4 fennel fronds
- 4 celery stalks, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 12 silverbeet stalks, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup green beans
- A few beetroot leaves
200mL coconut cream
- 250mL vegetable, chicken or beef stock
- 25mL filtered water
- 125mL tomato passata
- Black sesame seeds, to garnish
- Spring onion, sliced, to garnish
- Coriander leaves, to garnish
- Cooked rice or quinoa, to serve
- Flat-bread, to serve
- Over low–medium heat, heat coconut oil with cardamom pods, cinnamon stick and fennel seeds in large saucepan then fry onion for about 20 mins, until very golden but not burnt.
- Add ginger, garlic and curry powder and cook for 1–2 mins until aromatic. Add veg and stir until well coated with spices. Add remaining ingredients and stir until everything is warmed through and vegies start to soften.
- Simmer for 15 mins.
- Top with garnishes and serve as is, or with rice, quinoa or flat bread.
Spiced Cauliflower with Preserved Lemon
This delicious dish lives and dies by the quality of the curry powder. If you don’t have any on hand...
Quorn™ Foods shares 2 delicious, meat-free recipes
Quorn™ Foods is a global market leader in healthy, sustainable protein. Here, they share 2 delicious recipes.
Broccoli Rabe, Macadamia & Chilli Spaghetti
This simple vegetarian pasta is quick and easy to make and a really tasty, healthy meals that’s perfect for the...
Indonesian-Inspired Banana Omelette for Two
This Indonesian-inspired banana omelette can be made as a sweet or savoury dish. Plus, it's so tasty, we bet you'll...