Cajun Roasted Cauliflower with Avocado Coleslaw Pesto
Cajun cuisine is a style of cooking named for the French-speaking Acadian people deported by the British from Acadia in Canada to what is now called the Acadiana region of Louisiana. Cajun cuisine is sometimes referred to as a “rustic cuisine”, meaning that it is based on locally available ingredients and preparation is relatively simple. This dish is both easy to prepare and presents beautifully. The baked Cajun batter with the cauliflower is such an enjoyable combination.
- ¼ cup rice flour
- 1 tbsp Cajun spice
- ½ tsp vegetable stock powder
- ¼ cup plant-based milk
- ¼ cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
- 1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
- ½ carrot, grated
- 1 cup finely shredded kale
- 1 cup finely shredded white cabbage
- ½ cup finely shredded red cabbage
- ¼ avocado, chopped
- 1 cup coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- ½ red chilli, finely sliced (optional)
- Juice ½ lime
- Sprigs coriander, to serve
- Heat oven to 200°C and line baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Place rice flour, Cajun spice and stock powder in bowl and whisk together well. Add milk and whisk to make batter, then set aside.
- Place cauliflower florets into batter and mix well to coat completely. Place florets onto lined baking tray, ensuring that none of the pieces are touching each other. Bake for 15–20 mins or until cauliflower is crisp and golden brown.
- For coleslaw, place garlic, carrot, kale, cabbage and avocado chunks into bowl. Add chopped coriander and chilli. Squeeze in lime juice. Massage avocado into salad and mix well.
- To serve, place salad onto board or platter and top with baked Cajun cauliflower.
- Finish with fresh coriander leaves and serve.
Are you in need of some breakfast inspiration? We think that Bircher muesli is one of the best breakfasts you...
Chunky Almond Granola
This chunky almond granola is jam-packed with dietary fibre to help lower cholesterol levels, along with B vitamins and slow-release...
Pear Spelt Pancakes with Strawberry Purée
Pears and strawberries are rich sources of vitamin C, which is vital for boosting immune function and for supporting adrenal...
Sugar-Free Vegan Mint Chocolate Chip Nice-Cream
It hardly seems possible to have a no-sugar healthy ice-cream that tastes so amazingly sweet and almost like the dairy...