Cauliflower Breakfast Fried Rice
Cauliflower rice is super-simple to make, and offers a low-calorie, gluten-free, low-carbohydrate and grain-free alternative to regular rice and is great as a breakfast dish. You can make it the night before as it tastes even better the next day. Just be sure when you’re blitzing the cauliflower in the food processor that you don’t over-process it to avoid cauliflower mush. As any stir-fry maker knows, the key to easy and quick stir-frying is preparing all of your ingredients beforehand. Chop up your ginger, mince your garlic, cut the carrots and dice your onions. While I’ve chopped up my nitrate-free bacon rashers and chicken as my source of protein (and deliciousness) here, feel free to swap it out with seafood, tempeh or anything else you fancy. Make it your own.
- 1 head cauliflower, roughly chopped into florets
- 5 rashers nitrate-free bacon, chopped
- 1 tbsp sesame or coconut oil + extra as needed
- 3 eggs, whisked
- Large handful chopped spring onions
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 500g boneless & skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 6 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 2 tbsp wheat-free tamari
- 1 tbsp apple-cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Handful coriander leaves + extra to serve (optional)
- Sesame seeds, to serve
- Lime wedges, to serve
- Pulse cauliflower florets in food processor until they resemble rice. Set aside.
- Heat large wok over medium heat, then fry bacon until brown and crispy. Set aside in bowl.
- Add splash of sesame oil to wok, then add eggs, tilting wok to spread evenly, and fry, without stirring, until cooked through. Remove from wok and roll up, then cut into slices.
- Add a little more oil to wok, increase heat to high, and stir-fry spring onions, ginger and garlic for 1 min. Add chicken and cook, stirring, to seal on all sides. Add carrot and stir-fry until just tender, then turn out into bowl with chicken.
- Add a little more oil to wok if needed, and add cauliflower rice. Stir-fry for 3–5 mins until tender, then return all cooked ingredients to wok, along with peas, anchovies, tamari, vinegar, lime juice and coriander, if using.
- Serve warm, topped with sesame seeds and extra coriander, with lime wedges on side.
The Perfect Breakfast Board Recipe
Give sugary, boxed breakfast cereals a miss and opt for this nutrient-dense gluten-free breakfast bored to power you from sunrise...
Lentil Savoury Mince Recipe
This vegan mince can be used in an abundance of ways and is a yummy simple way to keep your...
High-Protein Bircher Bowl Recipe
This Bircher bowl is a delicious vegetarian breakfast you can make the night before, packed with flavour, texture and colour...
Baked Tempeh, Peanut Sauce & Sautéed Mushrooms, Broccoli & Spinach Recipe
This vegan breakfast plate combines the nutritious value of tempeh with its ultimate ally, peanut sauce alongside flavourful mushrooms and...