Cauliflower and Fennel Risotto Recipe
Risotto is like comfort food to me; it’s warm, soft, a little bit creamy and deliciously flavoured. Once you’ve got a basic risotto recipe, you really can work in any other flavours you like. I’ve created this risotto with two of my favourite vegetables, cauliflower and fennel, plus a gentle citrus twist from lemon thyme. Comfort food at its best.
- 2 fennel bulbs, cut into eighths
- ½ head cauliflower, cut into florets
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 white onion, peeled & chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1½ cups Arborio rice
- 1–1¼L vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 tsp lemon thyme
- ½ cup grated Parmesan or pecorino cheese
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200ºC and line large baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Place fennel pieces and cauliflower florets on tray, toss with about 4 tbsp olive oil, season and cook in oven for 30 mins.
- While vegetables are cooking, make risotto by heating remaining olive oil in large saucepan on medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook for 3–4 mins until translucent, then add rice and cook, stirring frequently, for further 5–6 mins.
- Reduce heat to low and add stock 1 cup at a time to rice. Allow each cup to absorb before adding next cup, and stir frequently.
- Once last cup of stock is poured into rice, add cooked vegetables and lemon thyme and stir gently, leaving just a touch of liquid remaining in risotto from final cup of stock.
- Stir through Parmesan or pecorino, season with sea salt and black pepper and serve.
Quick Vegetarian Nachos Recipe
I love this meal for a midweek quickie when I have no protein to work with. I try to always...
Indian-Spiced Mince with Peas Recipe
Dinner doesn’t get any more budget friendly, easier or tastier than this Indian Spiced Mince with Peas. It’s one of...
Vegan Pumpkin and Zucchini 'No Pasta' Lasagna
In this recipe, I use pumpkin and zucchini for lasagna and a cashew béchamel sauce. Double the recipe and make...
Baked Sweet Potato Hash Browns Recipe
These hash browns can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, brunch, or dinner. The wholesome savoury flavours of sweet potato team...