Chickpea Vegetable Tagine Recipe
Science confirms that diets containing a diverse range of vegetables produce healthier gut bacteria. So while eating vegetables is important, eating a good variety is beneficial for your gut and also nutritionally. This tagine is one very nourishing pot of plant-powered goodness. Don’t be put off by the long list of ingredients — remember that variety is a good thing. The method is really simple (just 30 mins of prep) and it produces a delicious, rich, hearty stew. Leftovers are delicious for lunch the next day.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 5cm ginger root, finely grated
- 2 eggplant, diced
- 4 carrots, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 2 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp honey
- 425g chickpeas, drained & rinsed (or one cup cooked)
- ¼ cup currants
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp ground harissa
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp sea salt
- Grind black pepper
700g tomato passata
- 250mL stock or broth
2 cups cauliflower, broken into pieces
- 2 red capsicums, diced
Handful green beans, topped & tailed
- ½ cup green olives
Bunch coriander, chopped
- 1 lemon, quartered
- In cast-iron saucepan or slow cooker, place olive oil, onion, garlic, ginger, eggplant, carrots, zucchini, sweet potato, honey, chickpeas, currants, spices, seasoning, passata and stock or broth.
- Cover with lid and simmer slowly for 90 mins.
- Add cauliflower, capsicum, beans and olives and cook for another 30 mins.
- Serve over rice, couscous, buckwheat or quinoa with coriander and lemon wedges.
Egg and Wild Mushroom Tart
This tart is lovely topped with fresh basil leaves and is a great addition to the Christmas buffet table. It...
Roasted Fig, Walnut and Goat’s Cheese Salad
Goat’s cheese, fig and beetroot were made for one another.
Greek Lamb Skewers in Pita Recipe
Get your iron boost for the week with these Greek marinated lamb skewers served with fresh herbs and plenty of...
Spicy Beef Lettuce Cups Recipe
These lettuce cups are my take on the san choy bau and combine lean beef mince with fresh herbs and...