Crispy Salmon, Sweet Potato Chips and Lime Coriander Pesto Recipe
This dish is a sensational midweek meal. The hero, salmon, is a rich source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids, essential for good health. Coriander is a classic example of food as medicine. It’s extremely anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and also an amazing detoxifier and heavy metal chelator — in short, a very beneficial addition to any diet. This pesto is a delicious way to enjoy it.
- 2-3 large sweet potatoes, cut into thin chips2-3 large sweet potatoes, cut into thin chips
- 2 tbsp ghee or butter
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 4 fillets salmon, skin on
- Coriander Lime Pesto
- Large bunch coriander
- Handful baby spinach leaves
- ¼ cup cashew nuts, toasted
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Juice & zest 1 lime
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp macadamia oil
- 1 small red chilli (optional)
- Start by roasting sweet potato chips. Pre-heat oven to 220ºC.
- Add ghee or butter to baking dish and pop in oven for a few mins to heat slightly.
- Add chips to preheated fat, season with salt and pepper and toss in fat so they are evenly coated. Bake for 20 mins or until golden and crisp.
- To make pesto, place coriander, spinach and cashews in processor and pulse until just chopped. Mix in parmesan, lime juice and zest, garlic and macadamia oil (and optional chilli), until combined.
- You have control over the texture of this pesto. For a chunky pesto, process less; for smoother, process more. Set aside.
- Last, cook salmon (start this 5 mins before chips are ready). Cut fish to portions. I try to buy mid-sections of fish so all are same approximate thickness (so as to cook in same amount of time).
- Pat flesh dry with paper towel, then rub with a little olive oil and season well on both sides with sea salt and pepper.
- Heat cast-iron grill pan so it's moderately hot and cook salmon skin side down for 4-5 mins, until skin crisps. Don't try to turn or flip too early or skin will stick.
- Using thin spatula, carefully turn fish and cook for 2-3 mins or until just cooked through (remember, it will continue to cook after you take it from the heat).
- Serve salmon on warm plate (or in roasting dish used for potatoes) with dollop of pesto and sweet potato chips.
- Tip: I also serve with steamed greens or a simple green salad.
Experience spa benefits at home with iHealth Saunas
A Sauna company with a difference, because an iHealth Sauna experience is a retreat in your own home.. iHealth Saunas...
Discover the magic of bird watching
Birdwatching is a diverse and enriching activity. Take in the sights, sounds and scenery of your natural surrounds and immerse...
Do you want to live to be 100? Read these strategies for reaching the milestone
The strategies for reaching this milestone include adequate sleep, maintaining a healthy microbiome, protein and maintaining healthy brain function.
Does your skin need a detox? Here's how to detox your skin naturally.
Your body’s largest organ is its skin and it is an organ that plays a critical role in any detoxification...