Crispy Salmon, Sweet Potato Chips and Lime Coriander Pesto Recipe
This dish is a sensational midweek meal. The hero, salmon, is a rich source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids, essential for good health. Coriander is a classic example of food as medicine. It’s extremely anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and also an amazing detoxifier and heavy metal chelator — in short, a very beneficial addition to any diet. This pesto is a delicious way to enjoy it.
- 2-3 large sweet potatoes, cut into thin chips2-3 large sweet potatoes, cut into thin chips
- 2 tbsp ghee or butter
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 4 fillets salmon, skin on
- Coriander Lime Pesto
- Large bunch coriander
- Handful baby spinach leaves
- ¼ cup cashew nuts, toasted
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Juice & zest 1 lime
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp macadamia oil
- 1 small red chilli (optional)
- Start by roasting sweet potato chips. Pre-heat oven to 220ºC.
- Add ghee or butter to baking dish and pop in oven for a few mins to heat slightly.
- Add chips to preheated fat, season with salt and pepper and toss in fat so they are evenly coated. Bake for 20 mins or until golden and crisp.
- To make pesto, place coriander, spinach and cashews in processor and pulse until just chopped. Mix in parmesan, lime juice and zest, garlic and macadamia oil (and optional chilli), until combined.
- You have control over the texture of this pesto. For a chunky pesto, process less; for smoother, process more. Set aside.
- Last, cook salmon (start this 5 mins before chips are ready). Cut fish to portions. I try to buy mid-sections of fish so all are same approximate thickness (so as to cook in same amount of time).
- Pat flesh dry with paper towel, then rub with a little olive oil and season well on both sides with sea salt and pepper.
- Heat cast-iron grill pan so it's moderately hot and cook salmon skin side down for 4-5 mins, until skin crisps. Don't try to turn or flip too early or skin will stick.
- Using thin spatula, carefully turn fish and cook for 2-3 mins or until just cooked through (remember, it will continue to cook after you take it from the heat).
- Serve salmon on warm plate (or in roasting dish used for potatoes) with dollop of pesto and sweet potato chips.
- Tip: I also serve with steamed greens or a simple green salad.
Explore the healing properties of manuka honey
Manuka honey is a powerful antibacterial honey made by bees frequenting the tea tree.
Roasted Pumpkin Hummus Recipe
Since I started making my own hummus last year, I can’t go back to store bought. Homemade hummus tastes fresher,...
The healing properties of acai berries
Native to Brazil, acai berries pack an antioxidant punch that yields an array of health benefits.
7 unique ways to detox your digestive system
Digestion is central to your body’s detoxification processes, so it’s important to consider how to keep your digestion at its...