Danish Apple Cake Recipe
This is my low-sugar, wholegrain version of a Danish-style apple cake. It’s very reminiscent of the apple tea cake my nan used to make me as a kid, only a bit nuttier due to the wholemeal spelt. It’s really quick and easy to make too.
Makes: 1 cake
- 175g butter, softened
- 120g coconut sugar
- 3 free-range or organic eggs
- 175g wholemeal spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled & sliced thinly
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C and grease a 23cm springform cake tin with butter.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the butter, coconut sugar and eggs until well combined and creamy.
- Mix the spelt flour, baking powder, bicarbonate and sea salt together. Gently fold in the wet mixture.
- Spoon into the greased cake tin and arrange the apple over the cake. Sprinkle with the cinnamon and coconut sugar.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 min. Remove the foil and cook for approximately 15 mins more or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake is clean.
3 delicious afternoon tea recipes
Sink your teeth into these delicious snacks, made using locally- and responsibly-sourced flour from The Good Harvest Co., for the...
Mini Chocolate Cakes with Poached Lavender Berries Recipe
Decadent, delicious, and topped with poached berries, these mini chocolate cakes are a ultimate sweet treat you won't be able...
3 responsibly-sweet recipes from Lakanto
Responsibly sweet, Lakanto Maple Flavoured Syrup is diabetic-friendly, vegan and keto-friendly, with only 2g net carbohydrates per serve.