Fish and Fennel Broth Recipe
Fish broths are incredibly rich in minerals and trace elements such as iodine, which is vital for thyroid function. Wonderful for autoimmune and leaky gut conditions, this broth is super-tasty on its own and makes a comforting addition to soups and stews.
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 onions, cut into wedges
- 2 leeks, including green bits, washed well & roughly chopped
- 4 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 large fennel bulb, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- Filtered water, to cover
- 3 fish carcasses, from non-oily fish such as barramundi, snapper or kingfish
- 4–5 thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- Small bunch flat-leaf parsley, about 55g
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- ⅓ cup apple-cider vinegar
- Warm oil in large flameproof casserole dish over medium heat.
- Add vegetables and garlic, tossing to coat, then cover with filtered water.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat to lowest possible searing and simmer for 30 mins, checking from time to time and adding a little more filtered water if necessary.
- Add fish bones and bring to boil, then turn heat down and skim off any foam that collects on top.
- Add herbs, peppercorns and vinegar. Cover and simmer over very low heat for another 1–2 hours.
- Leave to cool slightly, then strain broth into airtight containers.
- It will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Roasted Sweet Potato Chips with Beans and Feta Recipe
Sometimes you just need something simple and easy to make but delicious to end the day with. Try this Roasted...
Lamb Korma with Spiced Cauliflower Rice Recipe
One of our favourite ways to eat lamb is in a slow-cooked curry. Despite the long list of ingredients, this...
Matcha Panna Cotta with Raspberry Ice Recipe
A beautiful, delicious and nourishing dessert, this Matcha Panna Cotta is really easy to make and a dessert you’ll love...
Pancakes Hoppers Recipe
This recipe draws inspiration from Sri Lankan hoppers, which are fermented pancakes made from rice flour, served for breakfast with...