Fish and Fennel Broth Recipe
Fish broths are incredibly rich in minerals and trace elements such as iodine, which is vital for thyroid function. Wonderful for autoimmune and leaky gut conditions, this broth is super-tasty on its own and makes a comforting addition to soups and stews.
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 onions, cut into wedges
- 2 leeks, including green bits, washed well & roughly chopped
- 4 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 large fennel bulb, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- Filtered water, to cover
- 3 fish carcasses, from non-oily fish such as barramundi, snapper or kingfish
- 4–5 thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- Small bunch flat-leaf parsley, about 55g
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- ⅓ cup apple-cider vinegar
- Warm oil in large flameproof casserole dish over medium heat.
- Add vegetables and garlic, tossing to coat, then cover with filtered water.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat to lowest possible searing and simmer for 30 mins, checking from time to time and adding a little more filtered water if necessary.
- Add fish bones and bring to boil, then turn heat down and skim off any foam that collects on top.
- Add herbs, peppercorns and vinegar. Cover and simmer over very low heat for another 1–2 hours.
- Leave to cool slightly, then strain broth into airtight containers.
- It will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Fragrant Chicken Broth with Tofu Recipe
This fragrant broth is filled with so much goodness that just the aroma makes you feel better. Enjoy our Fragrant...
Gluten-Free Chocolate Pancakes with Mocha Fudge Sauce Recipe
These delicious gluten-free pancakes make the perfect weekend breakfast or afternoon treat.
5 healthy whole grains to add to your weekly food plan
A triple treat — nutritious, delicious and numerous — grains are powerhouses of nourishment and each of the many varieties...
Roast Sweet Potato, Hummus & Quinoa Poke Bowl Recipe
You’ll notice that a lot of the components of one poke bowl can be used in another. Enjoy my Roast...