Fish and Fennel Broth Recipe
Fish broths are incredibly rich in minerals and trace elements such as iodine, which is vital for thyroid function. Wonderful for autoimmune and leaky gut conditions, this broth is super-tasty on its own and makes a comforting addition to soups and stews.
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 onions, cut into wedges
- 2 leeks, including green bits, washed well & roughly chopped
- 4 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 large fennel bulb, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- Filtered water, to cover
- 3 fish carcasses, from non-oily fish such as barramundi, snapper or kingfish
- 4–5 thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- Small bunch flat-leaf parsley, about 55g
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- ⅓ cup apple-cider vinegar
- Warm oil in large flameproof casserole dish over medium heat.
- Add vegetables and garlic, tossing to coat, then cover with filtered water.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat to lowest possible searing and simmer for 30 mins, checking from time to time and adding a little more filtered water if necessary.
- Add fish bones and bring to boil, then turn heat down and skim off any foam that collects on top.
- Add herbs, peppercorns and vinegar. Cover and simmer over very low heat for another 1–2 hours.
- Leave to cool slightly, then strain broth into airtight containers.
- It will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Discover organic at our Wellbeing Directory
Like what you read?
Sign up for a weekly dose of wellness
Grilled Eggplant with Spiced Tomato and Yoghurt Recipe
This Grilled Eggplant with Spiced Tomato and Yoghurt is a very simple dish that works beautifully on its own, as...
Fishcakes with Avocado and Yoghurt Sauce Recipe
Choose a mild white fish for a milder flavour, something like mackerel for a stronger flavour or even a combination...
Turkish Eggs with Cauliflower, Sumac and Lemon Yoghurt Recipe
These Turkish Eggs with Cauliflower, Sumac and Lemon Yoghurt make a wonderfully sustaining meal full of protein, healthy fats and...
Oven-Baked Pea Falafels with Yoghurt and Tahini Sauce Recipe
These gluten-free and delicious Oven-Baked Pea Falafels are a healthy alternative to traditional deep-fried varieties. The kids will love them!