Fish with Sweet Paprika Recipe
You don’t even need to make a fish stock for this wonderful dish — the aromatics and anchovies add a great depth of flavour. Even if you don’t like anchovies, use them. The dish doesn’t taste like anchovies at all!
- 4 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, diced, fronds reserved for serving
- 800g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- ½ tsp chilli flakes or ½ fresh red chilli
- Pinch saffron threads (optional)
- 500mL filtered water
- 4 thyme sprigs, tied in bundle with kitchen string
- 700g firm white fish, such as ling or cod, pin-boned, skin removed & cut into large pieces
- Juice 1 lemon
- Salt & pepper
- Using mortar and pestle, mash garlic cloves and anchovies to paste. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onion, celery and fennel for 3–4 mins, or until softened.
- Add mashed garlic and anchovies. Cook, stirring, for about 1 min, or until mixture is fragrant, then add tomato, tomato paste, paprika, chilli and saffron, if using.
- Cook, stirring often, for 10–15 mins, or until tomato has cooked down a bit and mixture is aromatic.
- Stir in water and thyme sprigs and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover partially and simmer for 30 mins.
- Add fish, then cover and simmer for about 4 mins, or until fish is just cooked through.
- Remove from heat and remove thyme sprigs. Add lemon juice and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve immediately, scattered with reserved fennel fronds.
13 antioxidant foods and how to enjoy them
Antioxidants defend against cell-damaging free radicals, which increase your risk of disease and premature ageing. Including a variety of antioxidant-rich...
Which dairy is the better choice: full or reduced fat?
It’s easy to get hung up on fat content when it comes to dairy products, especially if you’re watching your...
Oven-Baked Pumpkin and Corn Brown Rice Risotto Recipe
This hearty risotto is a great source of dietary fibre. Brown rice contains around seven times more fibre than white...
Tahini Lentil Burger Recipe
These burger patties are soft inside and crispy on the outside. Make yourself a double batch and freeze some so...