Gut Healing Turmeric and Chicken Broth Recipe
Broths truly exemplify the notion that slow and steady wins the race. Bone broths are amazing for helping us slow down while simultaneously looking after our gut health, healing and sealing the digestive tract. This mineral-rich broth is just what the doctor ordered, charged with the anti-inflammatory powers of turmeric, fresh ginger and a whole chicken.
- 1 whole organic chicken
- 2 chicken feet, for extra gelatine (optional)
- 2L filtered water
- 2 tbsp apple-cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 2.5cm knob fresh ginger, grated
- ½ tsp ground turmeric or grated fresh turmeric
- Good pinch Celtic sea salt & black pepper
- Bunch flat-leaf parsley, about 100g
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Put chicken in large stainless-steel stockpot, along with chicken feet, if using.
- Pour in water, vinegar and lemon juice. Add onion, celery, ginger, turmeric and salt, and season generously with freshly ground black pepper.
- Bring to boil over medium heat, skimming off any foam that rises to the top. Reduce heat to lowest setting, then cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove from heat, remove chicken from pot and leave until cool enough to handle. Take meat off bones, reserving bones and setting meat aside for another use.
- Return bones to pot and simmer over very low heat for 4–6 hours, checking now and then and adding a little more filtered water if needed.
- Add parsley and garlic and simmer for another 10 mins.
- Remove bones with slotted spoon, then strain broth into airtight containers and refrigerate until fat congeals on top.
- Will keep in fridge for 4–5 days, covered with a good layer of its natural fat (don’t discard fat — it’s healthy, tasty and great for cooking with). Alternatively, you can freeze for up to 3 months.
- Tip: You can freeze the broth in ice-cube trays to give convenient little portions to pop into other dishes.
Indonesian-Inspired Banana Omelette for Two
This Indonesian-inspired banana omelette can be made as a sweet or savoury dish. Plus, it's so tasty, we bet you'll...
Berry and apple jellies
Fun to make and delicious to eat - these berry and apple jellies sure are a treat
No refined sugars and loads of fruit make this vegan tropical iceblock recipe a real winner
Cherry and almond sorbet
This simple cherry and almond sorbet recipe doesn’t require an ice-cream machine, and it's vegan-friendly too. What are you waiting...