Ham and Leek Croquettes Recipe
My Dutch background means I love croquettes — soft, tasty and often cheesy on the inside and crunchy on the outside. Normally, croquettes are not the healthiest option but I’ve put a healthy twist on these that makes them perfect to enjoy for an evening meal. Feel free to replace the free-range ham with any other cooked protein such as leftover shredded chicken or smoked salmon.
Makes: 18 croquettes
- 550g mashed potato (approx. 5 potatoes), peeled, boiled & mashed*
- 1 leek, washed & sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 100g free-range ham, diced
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 eggs
- Pinch sea salt & pepper
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 cup almond meal
- Add leeks to frypan along with olive oil and cook until soft. Add them to bowl with mashed potato, ham, red onion, garlic, 1 egg and pinch of sea salt and pepper. Mix together until well combined. Mixture should be firm and stick together when rolled into ball.
- Start rolling mixture into golf-ball-sized balls and set aside.
- Add coconut flour to plate and set aside. Add remaining 2 eggs to bowl and whisk until combined.
- Lastly, add almond meal to another bowl and also set aside. Now you can begin your crumbing production line. Simply add rolled potato balls to coconut flour then coat in egg mixture and finally coat in almond meal. Continue process until each potato ball is coated.
- Heat a little olive oil in large frypan over medium heat. Add croquettes and cook few mins on each side. Do not leave unattended; you need to continue to turn them until all sides are cooked.
- *Do not overcook potatoes or they will be too mushy and retain too much water. Cook them until just tender then mash them plain (do not add any butter, milk or water). They will seem very dry but mixture will come together once you add remaining ingredients.
Veggie Rice Balls Recipe
These rice balls make a tasty lunch on-the-go or can be added to a wrap or served with a salad...
Green Goddess Rolls Recipe
Packed full of fresh flavours and textures and oh so easy to make, these ricepaper rolls are perfect for work...
Veggie Soup in a Jar with Flavour Hits Recipe
Looking for an easy on-the-go lunch? This veggie soup in a jar has got you covered, with 3 delicious and...
Rainbow Nourish Bowl Recipe
This nourishing bowl is full of all the colours of the rainbow with flavours to match. It’s the perfect way...