Ham and Leek Croquettes Recipe
My Dutch background means I love croquettes — soft, tasty and often cheesy on the inside and crunchy on the outside. Normally, croquettes are not the healthiest option but I’ve put a healthy twist on these that makes them perfect to enjoy for an evening meal. Feel free to replace the free-range ham with any other cooked protein such as leftover shredded chicken or smoked salmon.
Makes: 18 croquettes
- 550g mashed potato (approx. 5 potatoes), peeled, boiled & mashed*
- 1 leek, washed & sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 100g free-range ham, diced
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 eggs
- Pinch sea salt & pepper
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 cup almond meal
- Add leeks to frypan along with olive oil and cook until soft. Add them to bowl with mashed potato, ham, red onion, garlic, 1 egg and pinch of sea salt and pepper. Mix together until well combined. Mixture should be firm and stick together when rolled into ball.
- Start rolling mixture into golf-ball-sized balls and set aside.
- Add coconut flour to plate and set aside. Add remaining 2 eggs to bowl and whisk until combined.
- Lastly, add almond meal to another bowl and also set aside. Now you can begin your crumbing production line. Simply add rolled potato balls to coconut flour then coat in egg mixture and finally coat in almond meal. Continue process until each potato ball is coated.
- Heat a little olive oil in large frypan over medium heat. Add croquettes and cook few mins on each side. Do not leave unattended; you need to continue to turn them until all sides are cooked.
- *Do not overcook potatoes or they will be too mushy and retain too much water. Cook them until just tender then mash them plain (do not add any butter, milk or water). They will seem very dry but mixture will come together once you add remaining ingredients.
Naked Coconut Amino Sauce — Niulife
All the benefits of Original Coconut Amino Sauce, friendly for your gut. This FODMAP Friendly, soy-free seasoning sauce is all-natural,...
Wakame Cauliflower Fish & Chips Recipe
This gluten-free dish gives a Japanese twist to a much-loved English favourite, fish and chips, offering a fun and delicious...
Smoked Salmon with Zucchini Pasta Recipe
This gluten-free zucchini pasta recipe is perfect for summer days when you're craving pasta without that heavy carb feeling.