Ham & Sweet Potato Soup
This soup is so delicious and easy to throw together. It’s also great to freeze, for use as a quick midweek work meal. In my eyes, ham is one of the most scrumptious, joyous, flavour-filled foods in the world. But not all hams are created equal. Make sure you find a passionate butcher and invest in quality free-range or organic nitrate-free ham, which will be browner and not so pink (pink ham has been treated with nitrates). The taste is second to none, and you only need small amounts to bring an immense salty ham flavour to your meals.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 leeks, pale part only, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 thin nitrate-free ham slices, chopped
- 500g sweet potato, peeled & chopped
- 1 turnip, chopped
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- 1L vegetable stock or filtered water
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 tsp thyme leaves + extra sprigs to serve
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 80mL coconut cream
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat, then cook leeks, garlic and ham for 5 mins, stirring frequently.
- Add remaining ingredients except coconut cream and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20 mins, or until vegetables are cooked.
- Transfer half the soup to blender, allow to cool slightly, then purée until smooth. Return puréed soup to pan to heat through.
- Ladle into bowls, swirl in coconut cream and serve garnished with thyme sprigs and a grind of pepper.
- Tip: Roasted sweet potato slices make a lovely garnish for this soup, as do edible flowers.
Chicken, Turmeric Immunity Soup
We love this nourishing soup whenever we feel a cold or flu coming on. Foods like this help to keep...
Natural Cold And Flu Elixir
Are you looking for a soothing drink to make at home? This recipe is the type of elixir you can...
Elevate your immunity with ancient Elderberry
Elderberries are one of the oldest herbal medicines and are especially useful during the cold and flu season. Discover how...