How to Dissect a Jackfruit
I learnt this traditional way of dissecting a jackfruit when I was in Kerala in India, studying Ayurvedic nutrition and cooking. I was staying at my friend Erica’s house and her grandmother-in-law showed me how to get the best out of a jackfruit. Here’s what you do.
- 1. Lay down a newspaper before you begin to prevent the counter and floor getting messy with the sap.
- 2. Cut the jackfruit in half, making a wedge of about 2cm thick and 30cm long.
- 3. Make a thin cut along the fruit from the cracked point on both sides of the wedge.
- 4. Open the wedge and pull the fruit apart. If you find it difficult to pull, you may want to make more cuts along the crack.
- 5. You then need to further split it into quarters by cutting one half along the central axis and pulling both ends with the hands. Do this on the other side, too.
- 6. Cut and remove the top inedible part that’s covering the bulbs.
- 7. Loosen the bulbs from the fibrous layers and separate each bulb, removing them from the fruit.
- 8. Make a light cut along the bulbs and remove the seeds.
- 9. Store the bulbs separately.
- Enjoy the jackfruit in many of our delicious recipes.
Spiced Carrot Dip Recipe
Mad for carrots? We are too! They are a regular player in our snack bag on the run. Try our...
Egg Salad Cos Cups Recipe
Create a fun dish to have at your next picnic that looks impressive! Try our Egg salad cos cups recipe...
Rainbow Salad in a Jar Recipe
Finding ways of eating good food on the go saves money and ensures you make a great choices. Enjoy our...