How to Dissect a Jackfruit
I learnt this traditional way of dissecting a jackfruit when I was in Kerala in India, studying Ayurvedic nutrition and cooking. I was staying at my friend Erica’s house and her grandmother-in-law showed me how to get the best out of a jackfruit. Here’s what you do.
- 1. Lay down a newspaper before you begin to prevent the counter and floor getting messy with the sap.
- 2. Cut the jackfruit in half, making a wedge of about 2cm thick and 30cm long.
- 3. Make a thin cut along the fruit from the cracked point on both sides of the wedge.
- 4. Open the wedge and pull the fruit apart. If you find it difficult to pull, you may want to make more cuts along the crack.
- 5. You then need to further split it into quarters by cutting one half along the central axis and pulling both ends with the hands. Do this on the other side, too.
- 6. Cut and remove the top inedible part that’s covering the bulbs.
- 7. Loosen the bulbs from the fibrous layers and separate each bulb, removing them from the fruit.
- 8. Make a light cut along the bulbs and remove the seeds.
- 9. Store the bulbs separately.
- Enjoy the jackfruit in many of our delicious recipes.
Discover organic at our Wellbeing Directory
Like what you read?
Sign up for a weekly dose of wellness
Sweet Spinach Pancakes with Blueberry Sauce Recipe
Green pancakes? This an example of how greens can be included in dishes where you may have thought this wasn’t...
Discover how chickpeas can help with weight management and heart protection
Chickpeas are legumes that are often called gram, garbanzos, chana or Egyptian peas. We take a look at the many...
Toasted Seaweed Chips Recipe
These Toasted Seaweed Chips make a very nourishing savoury snack. Stopping at one is virtually impossible! They’re a light but...
Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup Recipe
The long cooking time in this recipe really accentuates the strong cauliflower and broccoli taste and smell, which makes it...