How to Dissect a Jackfruit
I learnt this traditional way of dissecting a jackfruit when I was in Kerala in India, studying Ayurvedic nutrition and cooking. I was staying at my friend Erica’s house and her grandmother-in-law showed me how to get the best out of a jackfruit. Here’s what you do.
- 1. Lay down a newspaper before you begin to prevent the counter and floor getting messy with the sap.
- 2. Cut the jackfruit in half, making a wedge of about 2cm thick and 30cm long.
- 3. Make a thin cut along the fruit from the cracked point on both sides of the wedge.
- 4. Open the wedge and pull the fruit apart. If you find it difficult to pull, you may want to make more cuts along the crack.
- 5. You then need to further split it into quarters by cutting one half along the central axis and pulling both ends with the hands. Do this on the other side, too.
- 6. Cut and remove the top inedible part that’s covering the bulbs.
- 7. Loosen the bulbs from the fibrous layers and separate each bulb, removing them from the fruit.
- 8. Make a light cut along the bulbs and remove the seeds.
- 9. Store the bulbs separately.
- Enjoy the jackfruit in many of our delicious recipes.
Discover organic at our Wellbeing Directory
Like what you read?
Sign up for a weekly dose of wellness
Pulled Jackfruit Sliders with Coleslaw and Chipotle Mayonnaise Recipe
Jackfruit is health and delicious. It's chewy, meaty, texture offers so many more healthy benefits for you and the planet.
Jackfruit and Pumpkin Curry with Spinach Recipe
This healthy jackfruit curry is sweet and delicious and full of amazing nutrition. Jackfruit is so versatile and holds its...
Green Jackfruit Curry Recipe
Jackfruit makes a good vegetarian meat substitute in curries as it has a meat-like texture when cooked. Try it out...
Jackfruit Sago Pudding Recipe
In this dish, the coconut sugar creates a beautiful caramel sauce that’s tempered by the lemon-marinated jackfruit.